Understanding and Applying Newton's Law of Cooling: A Guide

In summary, the conversation discusses Newton's law of cooling and how it relates to the rate of temperature change in an object. The solution to a given problem is derived using this law, and the general solution for the temperature difference is found. The value of a constant is determined using given initial and final conditions, and this constant is used to find the temperature difference at a later time.
vorcil

Homework Statement

Newton's law of cooling says that the rate at which the emperature of any object changes is proportional to the temperature difference between the object and its surroundings. So if the temperature of the object is T, and its surroundings are at a constant temperature [tex] \hat{T} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{dT}{dt} = -k(T - \hat{T}) [/tex]

a) let [tex] \theta = T - \hat{T} [/tex], Show that [tex] \frac{d\theta}{dt} = -k\theta [/tex] and hence write down the general solution for [tex] \theta(t) [/tex]

b) given [tex] \theta(0) = 64 [/tex] and [tex] \theta(2) = 36 [/tex], find [tex] \theta(3) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

a)

[tex] \frac{d\theta}{dt} = -k\theta [/tex]

[tex] \int \frac{d\theta}{dt} = \int -k\theta [/tex]

re arranging
[tex] \int \frac{d\theta}{\theta} = \int -k dt [/tex]

and integrating
[tex] ln(\theta) = -k t + C[/tex]
(I think I add a + C?)

exponentiating both sides
[tex] eln(\theta) = e^{-kt +c} = Ce^{-kt} [/tex]
though I'm not sure why the C goes out to the front, or why it is being multiplied by C

simplifying gives the solution
[tex] \theta(t) = Ce^{-kt} [/tex]

b)

[tex] \theta(0) = Ce^{-k * 0} = 64 [/tex]

since [tex] e^{-k * 0} = e^0 = 1 [/tex]
that makes
[tex] C*1 = 64 [/tex]
so C = 64

now
[tex] \theta(2) = 36 [/tex]
so

[tex] 64*e^{-k * 2} = 36 [/tex]

[tex] e^{-k * 2} = \frac{36}{64} [/tex]

taking the logarithim of each side

[tex] -k*2 = ln(\frac{36}{64} [/tex]

solving for k, I get, K = 0.28768then going to [tex] \theta(3) [/tex]

putting it into the equation, then a calculator

64*e^{-0.28768*3} = 27

I think this is right, since it is a real number / integer, and it sort of fits the pattern

-

if someone could check, i'd be very happy, thank you :P

Physics news on Phys.org
Firstly, you haven't answered the very first question.

vorcil said:
a) let [tex] \theta = T - \hat{T} [/tex], Show that [tex] \frac{d\theta}{dt} = -k\theta [/tex]
Don't worry, when I was studying this, I did exactly the same thing and assumed I already had answered it. It's quite an arbitrary idea so you may need a little more practise here, because it's asked quite often on tests.

So you have the equations:

[tex]
\frac{dT}{dt} = -k(T - \hat{T})
[/tex]

[tex]\theta=T-\hat{T}[/tex]

And you need to show that

[tex]\frac{d\theta}{dt} = -k\theta [/tex]

Use the fact that [tex]\frac{d\theta}{dt}=\frac{d\theta}{dT}.\frac{dT}{dt}[/tex]

vorcil said:
exponentiating both sides
[tex] eln(\theta) = e^{-kt +c} = Ce^{-kt} [/tex]
though I'm not sure why the C goes out to the front, or why it is being multiplied by C
By a rule of exponentiation, [tex]a^{b+c}=a^ba^c[/tex]

so [tex]e^{-kt+c}=e^{-kt}e^c[/tex] but since c is just some constant we don't know yet, ec is also just some constant, so we simplify things and just give it another constant C (big c, don't use the same constant because [itex]c\neq e^c[/itex]).

Everything else is right, but if you aren't strapped for time in a test situation, then you may want to try a slightly more elegant approach to giving the final answer which will be an exact solution rather than relying on your calculator, for example, rather than:

vorcil said:
taking the logarithim of each side

[tex] -k*2 = ln(\frac{36}{64} [/tex]

solving for k, I get, K = 0.28768

then going to [tex] \theta(3) [/tex]

putting it into the equation, then a calculator

64*e^{-0.28768*3} = 27

You could do this,

[tex]-2k=ln\left(\frac{36}{64}\right)=ln\left(\frac{9}{16}\right)[/tex]

[tex]k=\frac{-1}{2}ln\left(\frac{9}{16}\right)[/tex]

[tex]=ln\left(\left(\frac{9}{16}\right)^{-1/2}\right)[/tex]

[tex]=ln\left(\left(\frac{16}{9}\right)^{1/2}\right)[/tex]

[tex]k=ln\left(\frac{4}{3}\right)[/tex]

then

[tex]\theta(3)=64e^{-3ln\left(\frac{4}{3}\right)}[/tex]

[tex]=64\left(e^{ln4-ln3}\right)^{-3}[/tex]

by using a combination of the rules [tex]ln\frac{a}{b}=lna-lnb[/tex] and [tex]e^{ab}=(e^a)^b[/tex]

[tex]=64\left(\frac{e^{ln4}}{e^{ln3}}\right)^{-3}[/tex]

[tex]=64\left(\frac{3}{4}\right)^3[/tex]

[tex]=64\left(\frac{27}{64}\right)[/tex]

[tex]\theta(3)=27[/tex]

There you have it, a confirmation that 27 is indeed the correct answer and your calculator isn't rounding off or anything.
Doing this in practise you'll of course be able to skip a lot of steps when you get more comfortable at doing it :smile:

good luck!

1. What is Newton's law of cooling?

Newton's law of cooling is a physical law that describes the rate at which an object cools down in a surrounding environment. It states that the rate of cooling of an object is directly proportional to the temperature difference between the object and its surroundings.

2. How is Newton's law of cooling applied in real life?

Newton's law of cooling is commonly applied in various fields such as meteorology, food preservation, and heat transfer. For example, it helps us understand how the temperature of our environment affects our body's cooling process and how we can preserve food by storing it in a cooler environment. It is also used in engineering to design efficient cooling systems.

3. What are the factors that affect the rate of cooling according to Newton's law?

The rate of cooling according to Newton's law is affected by several factors such as the temperature difference between the object and its surroundings, the surface area of the object, the type of material the object is made of, and the properties of the surrounding medium (such as air or water).

4. Can Newton's law of cooling be used to describe the rate of heating?

Yes, Newton's law of cooling can also be used to describe the rate of heating. It states that the rate of heating of an object is directly proportional to the temperature difference between the object and its surroundings.

5. Are there any limitations to Newton's law of cooling?

Yes, there are some limitations to Newton's law of cooling. It assumes that the surrounding medium has a constant temperature and that the object is in a closed system. It also does not take into account factors such as wind and humidity, which can affect the rate of cooling. In addition, it may not accurately describe the cooling of objects with complex shapes or materials with varying properties.