Can you explain the phenomenon of stimulated emission in lasers?

In summary, the conversation revolves around understanding the interaction between a photon and atoms in a medium with population inversion, resulting in stimulated emission. The question is how an incident photon can induce additional photon emission from excited state atoms without a change in energy, frequency, and phase. The concept of coherence and the conservation of momentum are mentioned as potential explanations. The suggestion is made to find a modern description of the physics described in Einstein's paper for a better understanding.
atmdw
I am interested in learning the nature of the interaction between a photon and the atoms in a medium that has undergone population inversion that causes stimulated emission i.e. if an excited-state atom is perturbed by a photon (with an electric field of specific frequency), why does it emit an additional (amazingly) coherent photon? Specifically, what is the nature of the incident photon-excited state atom perturbation? If momentum transfer, how is momentum transferred without change to the incident photon?
Thanks
An ignorant chemist

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have read the Wikipedia entry numerous times and it is informative (as is other web-based info). Wiki author states "When light of the appropriate frequency passes through the inverted medium, the photons stimulate the excited atoms to emit additional photons of the same frequency, phase, and direction, resulting in an amplification of the input intensity". My question is how does an incident photon (some of which presumably are not absorbed) induce additional photon emission from excited state atoms. I have read that there is some type of momentum transfer but I don't understand how that occurs without a change in energy (and frequency and phase) in the incident photon. A few good articles (but surprisingly few publications) are available on coherence but the conservation of momentum argument is confusing to me. I'm presuming that Einsteins thought experiment didn't involve a photon drive by.

Last edited:
I suggest you try to get a modern description of the physics described in Einstein's paper. I have never gone through it, but simply accepted it as a fact of nature (lasers work!).

What is stimulated emission?

Stimulated emission is a process in which an excited atom or molecule releases energy in the form of a photon, resulting in the emission of light at a specific wavelength. This process is one of the fundamental principles of laser technology.

How does stimulated emission differ from spontaneous emission?

Spontaneous emission occurs when an atom or molecule in an excited state releases energy in the form of a photon without any external stimulation. In stimulated emission, the release of a photon is triggered by an external photon with the same energy and direction, resulting in coherent light emission.

What is the significance of stimulated emission in laser technology?

Stimulated emission is essential for the operation of lasers. It allows for the amplification of light in a highly focused and coherent beam, making lasers useful in various applications such as cutting, welding, and medical procedures.

How does stimulated emission contribute to the intensity of laser light?

The intensity of laser light is directly proportional to the number of atoms or molecules undergoing stimulated emission. As more atoms or molecules emit photons in the same direction and phase, the intensity of the laser beam increases.

What factors affect the probability of stimulated emission?

The probability of stimulated emission is affected by the number of atoms or molecules in the excited state, the strength of the external photon, and the lifetime of the excited state. Additionally, the energy level structure and composition of the material also play a role in the probability of stimulated emission.