Riemann-Stieltjes Integral

• Thread starter jdcasey9
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary: CatIn summary, to show that \int_a^bf(x)d\alpha\leq\int_a^bg(x)d\alpha, we can use the fact that f\leq g, which implies that for every partition P of [a,b], we have m_i(f)\leq m_i(g) and M_i(f)\leq M_i(g). This allows us to compare the lower and upper sums of f and g, and ultimately conclude that the integral of f is less than or equal to the integral of g.
jdcasey9

Homework Statement

If f,g [tex]\in[/tex] R[tex]\alpha[/tex][a,b] with f[tex]\leq[/tex]g, show that [tex]\int[/tex]abfd[tex]\alpha[/tex] [tex]\leq[/tex] [tex]\int[/tex]abgd[tex]\alpha[/tex]

Homework Equations

Let [tex]\alpha[/tex]: [a,b] [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] R(Real numbers) be increasing. A bounded function f: [a,b] [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] R(real numbers) is in R[tex]\alpha[/tex][a,b] if and only if, given [tex]\epsilon[/tex][tex]\succ[/tex] 0, there exists a partition P of [a,b] such that U(f,P) - L(f,P) [tex]\prec\epsilon[/tex].

m=min{m1,..., mn}
M=max...
mi=inf{f(x) : xi-1[tex]\leq[/tex]x[tex]\leq[/tex]xi}
Mi=sup{f(x) : xi-1[tex]\leq[/tex]x[tex]\leq[/tex]xi}

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem doesn't seem to be difficult, but I'm running into problems trying to compare f and g:

For f and g: m[tex]\leq[/tex] mi [tex]\leq[/tex] L(f,P) [tex]\leq[/tex][tex]\int[/tex]b_a [tex]\leq[/tex][tex]\int[/tex]_ba [tex]\leq[/tex] U(f,P) [tex]\leq[/tex] Mi [tex]\leq[/tex] M

So we can say such things as:

mf [tex]\leq[/tex] mg for each piece, but can we say that:

mf [tex]\leq[/tex] mg [tex]\leq[/tex] mfi [tex]\leq[/tex] mgi ... etc.

If we can then this is easy to prove. If not, then how do we relate different parts of f and g?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. Your approach to the problem is on the right track. To compare f and g, we can use the fact that f\leq g, which means that for every x\in [a,b], f(x)\leq g(x). This implies that for every partition P of [a,b], we have m_i(f)\leq m_i(g) and M_i(f)\leq M_i(g) for all i=1,2,...,n. Therefore, we can write:

L(f,P)=\sum_{i=1}^nm_i(f)\Delta x_i\leq\sum_{i=1}^nm_i(g)\Delta x_i=L(g,P)

and

U(f,P)=\sum_{i=1}^nM_i(f)\Delta x_i\leq\sum_{i=1}^nM_i(g)\Delta x_i=U(g,P)

Since L(f,P)\leq L(g,P) and U(f,P)\leq U(g,P), we can conclude that \int_a^bf(x)d\alpha\leq\int_a^bg(x)d\alpha, as desired.

Hope this helps!

, Scientist

1. What is the definition of the Riemann-Stieltjes Integral?

The Riemann-Stieltjes Integral is a generalization of the Riemann Integral that allows for the integration of a larger class of functions. It is defined as the limit of a sum of areas of rectangles under a curve, where the width of the rectangles is determined by a given function, the integrator, and the height of the rectangles is determined by the original function being integrated.

2. How is the Riemann-Stieltjes Integral different from the Riemann Integral?

The Riemann-Stieltjes Integral takes into account the variations in the integrator function, while the Riemann Integral only considers the variations in the original function being integrated. This allows for a wider range of functions to be integrated using the Riemann-Stieltjes Integral.

3. What are the applications of the Riemann-Stieltjes Integral?

The Riemann-Stieltjes Integral has applications in various areas of mathematics, such as differential equations, probability theory, and physics. It is also used in the study of complex variables and in the analysis of financial markets.

4. What are the conditions for a function to be integrable using the Riemann-Stieltjes Integral?

The function being integrated must be bounded and the integrator function must be of bounded variation on the given interval. Additionally, the integrator function must be continuous at all points where the original function being integrated has a discontinuity.

5. How is the Riemann-Stieltjes Integral related to Lebesgue Integral?

The Riemann-Stieltjes Integral is a special case of the Lebesgue Integral when the integrator function is a step function. The Lebesgue Integral is a more general type of integral that can handle a wider range of functions and is based on the concept of measure theory.