Carbon Dioxide as an ideal gas

In summary, the problem asks for the number of grams of carbon dioxide collected at a given pressure and temperature, using the ideal gas equation PV=nRT. The additional information provided in earlier parts of the problem, specifically the volume of the unknown hydrocarbon and oxygen used in combustion, can be used to solve for the amount of carbon dioxide produced.
Korupt

Homework Statement

If carbon dioxide is collected at 104.3 kPa and 29.6 oC, how many grams are collected? Use the gas constant of 0.08206 L. atm/mol . K.

1. Liters at STP.
2. Grams at new temperature and pressure.

Homework Equations

PV=nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't understand what the problem wants me to do, there's not enough info to use PV=nRT equation and I don't know any other ideal gas ones except for the Combined Gas Law Equation which is also not applicable. Perhaps it has something to do with the earlier part of the problem which is all here: http://www.duluthhigh.org/tpindexy.php?page=myhome&id=104 but it doesn't seem to. I solved 1-5 but with 6 and 7 I really have no clue and this is a summer assignment so we really haven't learned anything yet. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds to me that it does depend on the previous questions. You found the molecular formula of the unknown hydrocarbon in question 2, and then are told that "53.21 L of the substance burns in 84.31 L of oxygen". You can write a chemical equation for the combustion and use the volumes of the limiting reagent to find how much carbon dioxide is produced.

Thanks, I was able to figure it out that way.

1. What is the ideal gas law and how does it apply to carbon dioxide?

The ideal gas law is a fundamental equation that describes the relationship between pressure, volume, temperature, and amount of gas in a system. For carbon dioxide, this law states that the pressure and volume of the gas are directly proportional, while the amount and temperature are directly proportional. This relationship applies to carbon dioxide as long as it is at a low pressure and high temperature, similar to other ideal gases.

2. How does carbon dioxide behave as an ideal gas under different conditions?

Under normal conditions, carbon dioxide behaves very similarly to other ideal gases, as described by the ideal gas law. This means that it will expand or contract in volume depending on the pressure and temperature, and its particles will move freely and independently of each other. However, at high pressures and low temperatures, carbon dioxide may deviate from ideal gas behavior due to intermolecular interactions.

3. Why is carbon dioxide considered an ideal gas?

Carbon dioxide is considered an ideal gas because it follows the ideal gas law at low pressures and high temperatures. This means that its behavior can be accurately predicted using this law, making it easier to understand and model in various scientific and engineering applications. Additionally, carbon dioxide is a simple and small molecule, making it less likely to deviate from ideal gas behavior due to intermolecular interactions.

4. Can carbon dioxide ever deviate from ideal gas behavior?

Yes, carbon dioxide can deviate from ideal gas behavior under certain conditions. At high pressures and low temperatures, the intermolecular forces between carbon dioxide molecules become stronger, causing the gas to deviate from the predictions of the ideal gas law. Additionally, at high densities, carbon dioxide can exhibit non-ideal behavior due to molecular interactions and the possibility of phase transitions.

5. How is the ideal gas law used to measure and analyze carbon dioxide in real-world applications?

The ideal gas law is commonly used to measure and analyze carbon dioxide in a variety of real-world applications. For example, it is used in gas chromatography to separate and analyze different gas components, including carbon dioxide. It is also used in the production and storage of carbon dioxide gas, as well as in the design and operation of carbon dioxide-based systems and processes such as carbon capture and storage.