Earthing/Grounding Alternatives

• Thread starter exequor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Earthing
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of earthing or grounding in an electrical system. The main focus is on finding alternative ways to set up the earthing system, such as using a sealed container filled with water instead of a metal pipe pounded into the ground. However, experts warn against this idea as it would not work effectively. They also discuss the importance of proper earthing for maintaining the safety and stability of the power distribution system. The conversation also touches on the difference between voltage and phases in an electrical system. It is concluded that altering the earthing system is a violation of electrical code and can potentially nullify fire insurance.
well in this case you become the path for current to travel from the neutral to the earth, if the system is grounded to Earth via grounding rod the current will take the path of least resistance through the ground wire instead of your body.

GENIERE said:
By definition the neutral is the grounded conductor, but I understand your intent so I won’t bicker.

There must be a complete circuit path for current flow. In your scenario, can you describe the current path?

Engineering news on Phys.org
sheldon said:
Ok then my case is true that you can be shocked or electricuted in a system that is not Earth grounded via the neutral?
Not correct.
Sheldon said:
after all its the center tap of the xformer right?
Correct.
sheldon said:
well in this case you become the path for current to travel from the neutral to the earth…
OK, current flows from the neutral, through you, to the Earth, to where? The current path is not complete. So far we have an open circuit.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have a difference in potential and create a path the charges will try and equal through the conductor. Think of the neutral as hot and the Earth as neutral. Ok well I am starting to get discouraged, I just don't want anybody to get hurt thinking that in a system that is not Earth grounded nothing will happen to them if they accidently touch the neutral and are holding onto a water pipe (earth ground). If you choose to do so heading my warning then at least I tryed the best I could to explain.

GENIERE said:
Not correct.
Correct.

OK, current flows from the neutral, through you, to the Earth, to where? The current path is not complete. So far we have an open circuit.

Sheldon. You are assuming that the neutral when not connected to the Earth is a shock hazard. Correct? Assuming that no other part of that particular system (secondary circuit of the transformer) has leakage to ground it is NOT a shock hazard. It is no more of a shock hazard than a bunch of wire suspended by insulators stretching between a number of poles. If it were the case that current would leave the neutral and go into the ground then someone would be paying for it in the electric bill. In order to qualify as current electricity and not a static buildup there needs to be a path from the source, through the victim, and back to the source. In an isolated system no such path exists. Part of the path exists when you touch the neutral. But until the path is completed by means of current flowing back out of the ground and into another tap on the secondary of the transformer no complete circuit is established and no shock will ocurr. The only possibility of a shock is from static buildup and that is VERY unlikely due to fact that there is enough leakage in the system (even through slightly humid air around metal conductors) to keep a charge from building up.

BTW, anyone who grabs onto something electrical and does not understand in their own mind what is going on and are just simply taking someone elses word for it is a candidate for natural selection.