Relationship between Sup and Limsup of Sequences

In summary, the relationship between the supremum (\sup) and limit supremum (\limsup) of a countably infinite set \{ x_n \} is that \sup will equal \limsup if and only if there is a subsequence converging to \sup. In general, \sup is always larger or equal to \limsup. Both \sup and \limsup are only well-defined if the sequence is bounded above. The limit supremum is the largest value for which there is a subsequence converging to it, making it the largest limit point of the sequence. In the case of the sequence 1, 1/2, 1/3, \ldots, we have \sup\limits_n
AxiomOfChoice
So if you have a countably infinite set [itex]\{ x_n \}[/itex] and consider also the sequence [itex](x_n)[/itex], what's the relationship between [itex]\sup \{ x_n \}[/itex] and [itex]\limsup x_n[/itex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
limsup will equal sup if and only there is a subsequence converging to sup. In general sup is always larger or equal to limsup. Both are only well-defined if the sequence is bounded above.

limsup is the largest value for which there is a subsequence converging to it. In other words it's the largest limit point of the sequence. I may be mistaken, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
disregardthat said:
limsup will equal sup if and only there is a subsequence converging to sup. In general sup is always larger or equal to limsup. Both are only well-defined if the sequence is bounded above.

limsup is the largest value for which there is a subsequence converging to it. In other words it's the largest limit point of the sequence. I may be mistaken, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

No, this definitely makes sense. I suppose in the case of the sequence [itex]1, 1/2, 1/3, \ldots[/itex], we have [itex]\sup\limits_n x_n = 1[/itex] (since 1 is certainly the least upper bound), but [itex]\limsup\limits_{n\to \infty} x_n = 0[/itex] (since 0 is the only limit point of this set). Thanks!

AxiomOfChoice said:
No, this definitely makes sense. I suppose in the case of the sequence [itex]1, 1/2, 1/3, \ldots[/itex], we have [itex]\sup\limits_n x_n = 1[/itex] (since 1 is certainly the least upper bound), but [itex]\limsup\limits_{n\to \infty} x_n = 0[/itex] (since 0 is the only limit point of this set). Thanks!

That seems about right, and no problem.

I found it very clarifying to introduce the idea of a superior number & an inferior number,
as is done in this book. Just have a look at the page above the one that comes up in the link.

What is the definition of Sup and Limsup of Sequences?

The Sup (supremum) of a sequence is the smallest number that is greater than or equal to all the terms in the sequence. The Limsup (limit superior) is the largest limit point of a sequence, meaning it is the largest number that a subsequence of the sequence can approach.

How are Sup and Limsup of Sequences related?

The Limsup is always greater than or equal to the Sup of a sequence. This is because the Limsup is the largest limit point and the Sup is the smallest number that is greater than or equal to all the terms in the sequence.

What is the significance of Sup and Limsup of Sequences in mathematics?

The Sup and Limsup of Sequences are important concepts in real analysis and measure theory. They are used to define the convergence and divergence of sequences, as well as to prove theorems in these areas of mathematics.

How can the Sup and Limsup of Sequences be used to determine the behavior of a sequence?

If the Sup and Limsup of a sequence are equal, then the sequence is convergent. If the Sup is greater than the Limsup, then the sequence is divergent. If the Sup is equal to infinity, then the sequence is unbounded.

Are there any practical applications of Sup and Limsup of Sequences?

Yes, Sup and Limsup of Sequences have practical applications in fields such as statistics, engineering, and physics. They are used to analyze data trends, model systems, and make predictions about outcomes.