Solving a Limit to Determine the Convergence of a Series

In summary, the given series does not converge, but if you factor 1/4 out to get the exponents aligned, then the sum does converge to 0.
BraedenP

Homework Statement

I am asked to determine whether a series converges, and if so, to provide its sum.

The problem is:

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}(-3)^{n-1}4^{-n}[/tex]

Homework Equations

- I know that if the limit of the sequence as n->inf is finite, then the series converges at that limit.

- I also know that the sum of the given series is equal to said limit (if it exists).

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I rewrote the series as a limit and turned it into a fraction: [tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\frac{(-3)^{n-1}}{4^n}[/tex]

2. Then as [itex]n\rightarrow\infty[/itex] the denominator approaches infinity, and the numerator begins to oscillate (for even n values, it's a large positive number, and for odd n values it's a large negative number).

3. Thus, I concluded that the limit does not exist, and thus the series does not converge.

However, this limit actually evaluates to 0, meaning that the series converges and sums up to 0. How is this? I'm quite confused...

Physics news on Phys.org
BraedenP said:

Homework Statement

I am asked to determine whether a series converges, and if so, to provide its sum.

The problem is:

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}(-3)^{n-1}4^{-n}[/tex]

Homework Equations

- I know that if the limit of the sequence as n->inf is finite, then the series converges at that limit.

- I also know that the sum of the given series is equal to said limit (if it exists).

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I rewrote the series as a limit and turned it into a fraction: [tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\frac{(-3)^{n-1}}{4^n}[/tex]

2. Then as [itex]n\rightarrow\infty[/itex] the denominator approaches infinity, and the numerator begins to oscillate (for even n values, it's a large positive number, and for odd n values it's a large negative number).

3. Thus, I concluded that the limit does not exist, and thus the series does not converge.

However, this limit actually evaluates to 0, meaning that the series converges and sums up to 0. How is this? I'm quite confused...

Pull a factor of 1/4 out to get the exponents aligned, so that what you're summing is [tex]\left(\frac{-3}{4}\right)^{n-1}[/tex]

Oh, okay. That makes sense. Thanks!

Last edited:
BraedenP said:
Okay.. That makes sense, but in this case the limit evaluates to infinity, doesn't it? It should evaluate to 0.
[itex]\displaystyle \lim_{n\to\infty}\left(\frac{-3}{4}\right)^{n-1}=0[/itex]

This is necessary for the series (the sum) to converge, but it's not enough to guarantee it.

That will take a bit more work.

As a start, write out the first several terms ot the series, then look at the sum of any two consecutive terms of the series.

Alternatively, this is a geometric series, which is probably one of the first series presented when you started learning about series.

Yeah, thanks guys. I was reading that all wrong. Makes perfect sense now :)

What is a limit and how is it related to determining convergence of a series?

A limit is a mathematical concept that determines the behavior of a function or sequence as its input values approach a certain value. In the context of determining convergence of a series, the limit is used to determine the behavior of the sum of the terms in the series as the number of terms approaches infinity.

How do you solve a limit to determine the convergence of a series?

To solve a limit for convergence of a series, you need to evaluate the limit of the partial sums of the series as the number of terms approaches infinity. This can be done using various techniques such as the comparison test, ratio test, or root test.

What is the comparison test and how is it used to determine convergence of a series?

The comparison test is a method used to determine the convergence of a series by comparing it to another series with known convergence properties. If the terms of the original series are smaller than the terms of the comparison series, and the comparison series converges, then the original series also converges.

Can a series have a limit but not converge?

Yes, a series can have a limit but not converge. This is known as a divergent series, where the limit of the partial sums exists, but the series does not have a finite sum or does not approach a certain value as the number of terms increases.

What are the common techniques for determining the convergence of a series?

Aside from the comparison test, other common techniques for determining the convergence of a series include the ratio test, which compares the ratio of successive terms to a limit, and the root test, which compares the nth root of the terms to a limit. Other techniques include the integral test, the alternating series test, and the direct comparison test.