How can I get a seven segment display to light up in my circuit?

• Thread starter Tom McCurdy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, the author streamlined a circuit containing integrated circuits on one board to get a seven segment LED to light up. However, despite following instructions, the LED does not light up. The author may need to switch the common cathodes on the 7447 with a 7448 to get it to work.
Tom McCurdy
Hello all, you may remeber from past about the circuit I was working on to get a simple 7 segment display to work... we had to tangent from that for awhile but we are finally back...

I got frustrated with problems in the 5 bread board circuit with around 100 led's so I streamlined the circuit with my partner and it now contains the integrated circuits on one board. I am trying to figure out how to get this stupid seven segment LED to light up

Here is a diagram of what I currently have built- The 555 works and blinks the two leds, also the 8 other leds work and count... however the seven segment display does not work.
www.quantumninja.com/hw/Circuit.pdf

I am not sure what to do with the final leads for the seven segment display

the parts used are
555-integrated circuit
7490-integrated circuit *2
7447-integrated circuit
LN514rk seven segment display
http://www.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/PANASONIC/LN514RK.html
specs for seven segment display

if link doesn't work just search www.alldatasheet.com for specific parts to get spec sheets

I don't know what to do to make it work please help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you have pins 3 and 4 of the 7447 tied high? I don't see it on the schematic. Look at the truth table for the 7447.

Do you also have pins 3 and 14 of the display tied to gnd?

Last edited:
Um no I don't ...I was just told to tie the other pins of the display to positive... hmm

jrz126 said:
First off, I don't think you need those current limiting resistors between the 7 seg and 7447, It has internal current limiting.

For the 3 remaining pins, I'm assuming that your 7 seg display has 10 leads total: 7 for the display (a,b,c,d,e,f,g) then you have 2 commons, (are they common annode?) and the final lead is for the decimal.
Usually the 2 commons are in the middle of the top and bottom.

It looks like the 7447 should be able to support common annodes. Just connect the 2 commons to your +5 volts.

looking at your drawing, You also need to connect pin 8 of the 7447 to ground.
Looking at the truth table for the 7447, you want pin 3 (Lamp test) high, if you bring this low, it should light every segment of your display, a good way to check it. You also want your blanking input (pin 4) high. and I think you will want pin 5 high as well.

Hope this isn't confusing, Feel free to send me an IM if you have any questions.

One thing I was also considering was making sure that the LN514rk 7 segmetn display is common anode as opposed to common cathode... becasue if its common cathode wouldn't I need the 7448 instead of the 7447?

What I really need to know is the connections between the 7447 and ln514rk ... what goes ground what goes positive

Tom McCurdy said:
What I really need to know is the connections between the 7447 and ln514rk ... what goes ground what goes positive

Your common cathodes (pins 3 & 14) should go to gnd.

HAHAHAHAHA I got it!

I realized that the led was common cathode and so switched the 7447 with a 7448 and it worked

thanks a lot for the help though guys... does anyone know of any free software taht streamlines circuits drawings?

1. What is a 7 segment display and how does it work?

A 7 segment display is a type of electronic display that consists of seven LED segments arranged in the shape of the number 8. These segments can be turned on or off to display different numbers and letters. It works by using a combination of these segments to create different patterns that resemble numbers and letters.

2. How do you connect a 7 segment display to a circuit?

A 7 segment display can be connected to a circuit by using a series of resistors and a microcontroller or other electronic device that can control the individual segments. Each segment has its own pin that needs to be connected to the corresponding pin on the microcontroller.

3. What is the purpose of a 7 segment display?

A 7 segment display is commonly used to display numerical information in a visual format. It is often used in electronic devices such as calculators, digital clocks, and measuring instruments.

4. How bright is a 7 segment display?

The brightness of a 7 segment display can vary depending on the type of LED used and the current flowing through it. Typically, the display is bright enough to be seen in low light conditions but not so bright that it causes eye strain.

5. Can a 7 segment display be used for more than just numerical displays?

Yes, a 7 segment display can also be used to display letters and certain symbols by using specific combinations of the seven segments. However, due to the limited number of segments, it may not be suitable for displaying complex images or graphics.