Differential Equations, Laplace Transform

In summary, the conversation discusses the upcoming Network Analysis course and the need for access to mathematical concepts that will be utilized. The suggested solution is to watch videos on khanacademy.org which cover most of the material in a differential equations course and to set up a schedule for self-study. The topics mentioned are typically taught in ordinary differential equations classes and are covered in the videos. However, the videos may not provide an electrical or mechanical perspective, but the class will likely cover this information.
sandy.bridge
Hello all,
Next semester I will be taking a Network Analysis course in my EE degree. Moreover, we will be utilizing numerous mathematical concepts I have not yet seen. If anyone has (preferably free) access to any of the concepts to follow that they would be willing to share, I would be grateful. I have 3 weeks off for break to work, however, I'd like to involve myself with some of these methods as we do not cover a course on Differential Equations. Thanks!

Some of the mathematical concepts I will be utilizing next semester will be "deriving differential equations for electrical and mechanical systems, solving differential equations for initial conditions and a step input, the Laplace transform, Second Order Systems, solving transient response by the Laplace transform".

Physics news on Phys.org
You could watch the videos on khanacademy.org. They cover most of the material in a differential equations course. I am unsure if he discusses any applications, but the mathematics alone should sufficiently prepare you for your course.

Sweet. Thanks! Do you recommend merely taking notes while watching the videos, and studying the concepts? The only downfall to relying merely on videos is the lack of practice problems. Are the mathematical concepts I was referring to usually covered in a Differential Equation class?

Last edited:
I think that you can learn the concepts by watching the videos and working through the problems with him step by step. I like to set up a schedule when I self-study, so that might also be beneficial. I would try something like...

Day 1:
watch & work through 1,2,3
Day 2:
watch & work through 4,5,6
Day 3:
watch & work through 7,8,9
watch: 1,2,3
Day 4:
watch & work through: 10,11,12
watch: 4,5,6
etc.

Space everything out accordingly, though. The topics you listed are typically taught in ordinary differential equations classes and they're all covered in the videos. You won't get an electrical or mechanical perspective (although there will probably be a few related problems), but I assume your class will teach you the conceptual information and physical applications.

I can understand your excitement for learning and utilizing these mathematical concepts in your upcoming Network Analysis course. Differential equations and Laplace transforms are powerful tools that are widely used in various fields of science and engineering. They allow us to model and analyze complex systems and phenomena, making them essential for understanding and solving real-world problems.

Regarding your request for resources, there are many free online materials available that can help you gain a better understanding of these concepts. Some popular resources include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Coursera. Additionally, many textbooks and lecture notes on differential equations and Laplace transforms can be found online for free.

I would also recommend practicing and familiarizing yourself with these concepts during your break. This will not only help you in your upcoming course, but also strengthen your overall understanding of these mathematical tools. Good luck in your studies and I wish you success in your future endeavors as an electrical engineer.

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is an equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It is used to model and understand how systems change over time.

What is the Laplace transform?

The Laplace transform is a mathematical tool used to solve differential equations. It transforms a function from the time domain to the frequency domain, making it easier to solve.

What is the significance of the Laplace transform?

The Laplace transform is significant because it allows for the solution of complicated differential equations that would be difficult or impossible to solve using other methods. It is also used in various fields of science and engineering to model and analyze systems.

What are the applications of differential equations and Laplace transform?

Differential equations and Laplace transform have numerous applications in physics, engineering, and other sciences. They are used to model and understand physical systems such as circuits, fluid flow, and heat transfer. They are also used in signal processing, control systems, and image processing.

What are some common techniques for solving differential equations using Laplace transform?

Some common techniques for solving differential equations using Laplace transform include partial fraction decomposition, inverse Laplace transform, and convolution. In some cases, tables of Laplace transforms can also be used to find the solution.