Conceptual Question About Hydrostatic Forces

In summary, the conversation discusses the pressure forces on the bottom and sides of a container filled with water at 20°C. The solution states that the pressure at the bottom is equal to 33ft multiplied by the specific weight of water. The concept of pressure being independent of the actual area is explained using the example of adding a very thin, but long tube to the top of a steel hollow sphere filled with water. The pressure at the bottom remains unchanged even if the diameter of the pipe is changed to a very small size, as seen in Pascal's Vases or the hydrostatic paradox.
theLiminator

Homework Statement

A 30-ft-high, 1-ft-diameter pipe is welded to the top of a cubic container (3ft x 3ft x 3ft). The
container and pipe are filled with water at 20°C. Determine the pressure forces on the bottom and sides of the container.

I already know the solution to this problem, but I don't get how it conceptually makes sense. It says that the pressure at the bottom would be equal to 33ft*specific weight of water. However, I don't get this concept. It basically means the amount of water on top makes a difference to the pressure at the bottom, only the height. My questions is, if you change the diameter of that pipe to something ridiculously small, such as 1 micron, why would the pressure at the bottom remain unchanged?

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, another concept I don't get:

If we attached a steel hollow sphere with a very thin thickness to the bottom, and remove to top tube, the pressure would go down right? But imagine if you add an ultra thin, but really long tube to the top, and fill that tube with water, wouldn't it crush the sphere due to incredibly high pressure? To me this isn't intuitive if you end up only adding maybe 500g of water (when using an incredibly thin tube).

Aren't the units of pressure (force by area) like psi. So you'll have the same pressure with the same height of water because pressure is independent of the actual area.
You're just saying that this much force is acting per this area (which is a constant).
This makes sense to me, I hope its right and hope it helped.

theLiminator said:

My questions is, if you change the diameter of that pipe to something ridiculously small, such as 1 micron, why would the pressure at the bottom remain unchanged?

As far as I know it should be. Try to google and find something about Pascal's Vases or hydrostatic paradox.

The pressure at the bottom of the container is determined by the weight of the water above it, not the diameter of the pipe. This means that even if the diameter of the pipe is reduced to 1 micron, the weight of the water above it would still be the same and therefore the pressure at the bottom would remain unchanged. The diameter of the pipe does not affect the weight of the water and therefore does not impact the pressure at the bottom of the container.

1. What is a hydrostatic force?

A hydrostatic force is a force exerted by a fluid, such as water, on an object that is submerged or partially submerged in the fluid. It is a result of the pressure exerted by the fluid on the surface of the object.

2. How is the hydrostatic force calculated?

The hydrostatic force is calculated by multiplying the area of the submerged surface by the fluid pressure at that depth. This can be represented by the equation F = P x A, where F is the hydrostatic force, P is the fluid pressure, and A is the area of the surface.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of hydrostatic force?

The magnitude of hydrostatic force is affected by the density and depth of the fluid, as well as the shape and size of the submerged object. The direction of the force is also influenced by the angle at which the object is submerged.

4. How does hydrostatic force differ from hydrodynamic force?

Hydrostatic force is a result of the pressure exerted by a stationary fluid on a submerged object, while hydrodynamic force is a result of the motion of the fluid. Hydrodynamic force is caused by the drag and lift forces acting on an object as it moves through the fluid.

5. What are some real-life applications of hydrostatic force?

Hydrostatic force plays a crucial role in many aspects of daily life, such as in the design of ships and submarines, the construction of dams and levees, and the functioning of hydraulic systems. It is also important in understanding natural phenomena, such as the buoyancy of objects in water and the stability of floating structures.