Laplace Transform of this Differential Equation

In summary, the problem is supposed to be: 21/5 cos(3t) e^(-9t) - 6/5 e^(-9t) cos(2t) + 26/3 e^(-9t) sin(3t)
s3a
I tried doing this problem soooo many times for several days and keep failing and then I'm so worn out I can't keep thinking straight and I can't move on because of this! I'm attaching my work and it would be great if I can get back and forth feedback if necessary to find my mistake(s).

The question is:
"Solve the initial value problem: y'' + 18y' + 90y = -6e^(-9t) cos(2t); y(0) = 3, y'(0) = -1"

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• P5.jpg
    P5.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 449
Physics news on Phys.org
s3a said:
I tried doing this problem soooo many times for several days and keep failing and then I'm so worn out I can't keep thinking straight and I can't move on because of this! I'm attaching my work and it would be great if I can get back and forth feedback if necessary to find my mistake(s).

The question is:
"Solve the initial value problem: y'' + 18y' + 90y = -6e^(-9t) cos(2t); y(0) = 3, y'(0) = -1"

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Do you have to use the Laplace transform? What about the method of undetermined coefficients?

I do have to use the method of Laplace Transforms.

You seem to have made a mistake right before you started in on the partial fractions. You should get
$$Y(s) = \frac{3(s+9)}{(s+9)^2+9} + \frac{26}{3}\frac{3}{(s+9)^2+9} -\frac{6(s+9)}{[(s+9)^2+4][(s+9)^2+9]}$$When you deal with that last term, I'd pull the overall factor of -6 out and replace s+9 with s to make the algebra simpler. In other words, use partial fractions on
$$Y_3(s) = \frac{s}{(s^2+4)(s^2+9)}$$I think you'll find that much more pleasant to deal with. Then take into account the effect of replacing s by s+9 and multiply by the overall factor of -6.

Last edited:
Sorry for the late response. I have sooooo much work to do otherwise, I'd respond immediately. I'm attaching my latest failure.

The answer is supposed to be:
21/5 cos(3t) e^(-9t) - 6/5 e^(-9t) cos(2t) + 26/3 e^(-9t) sin(3t)

and based on the last step I did, I already have mistakes.

Attachments

• laplace_redone.pdf
    212 KB · Views: 199
When you collected the Y(s) terms on the lefthand side, you should have gotten ##Y(s)(s^2+18s+90) - 3s - 53##. You accidentally included the 3s term.

Last edited:
Yes! I did it! Thank you!

1. What is the Laplace Transform of a Differential Equation?

The Laplace Transform is a mathematical tool used to solve differential equations. It transforms a differential equation, which is a relationship between a function and its derivatives, into an algebraic equation, which is easier to solve.

2. How do you find the Laplace Transform of a Differential Equation?

To find the Laplace Transform of a differential equation, you first need to take the Laplace Transform of both sides of the equation. This will turn the equation into an algebraic equation, which can be solved using algebraic methods. Once the algebraic solution is found, you can use the inverse Laplace Transform to find the solution to the original differential equation.

3. What types of differential equations can be solved using the Laplace Transform?

The Laplace Transform can be used to solve a wide range of differential equations, including ordinary differential equations (ODEs), partial differential equations (PDEs), and systems of differential equations. It is especially useful for solving linear, constant coefficient differential equations.

4. What are the advantages of using the Laplace Transform to solve differential equations?

The Laplace Transform has several advantages over other methods of solving differential equations. It can be used to solve very complex equations, it is especially useful for solving boundary value problems, and it can also be used to find the solution of a differential equation at any given point in time.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Laplace Transform to solve differential equations?

Although the Laplace Transform is a powerful tool for solving differential equations, it does have some limitations. It cannot be used to solve non-linear differential equations, and it is not always easy to find the inverse Laplace Transform of an algebraic solution. It also requires knowledge of complex numbers and their properties.