Help How to solve a set of 12 partial differential equations with 8 variables.

In summary, the speaker is a master student working on monopole instanton solutions using the Lagrangian method and Matlab software. They have encountered difficulties with convergence and are seeking advice on how to solve the 12 set equations of motion with 8 variables using Matlab. The speaker is advised to use appropriate numerical methods, an adaptive approach, and possibly explore other software packages designed for solving PDEs.
tiantsai
Hi, I am a master student comes from USM in Malaysia. My main focus is on monopole instanton solution in static form which did not include time, i using the Lagrangian to generate out the 12 set equations of motion with 8 variables, the software that i use is Matlab with Optimization toolbox- the algorithm that i use inside the package is trusted reflective region and the numerical method that i used is finite difference method. However, it did not converge. I have tried to reproduce the Jutta Kunz paper-monopoles solution with 6 set of partial differential equation with 6 variables and its work well and i can get the Higgs field of monopole successfully. The varibale is in r and theta form which means as A(r,theta). So any suggestion for using Matlab to solve the 12 set equations of motion (PDE form) with 8 variables.

Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds like you have a very challenging problem. It is difficult to give specific advice without knowing the exact equations and variables that you are working with, but here are some general tips that may help:1. Make sure you are using the right numerical methods for your problem. Depending on the form of the equations, different techniques may work better than others. For instance, if your equations are nonlinear, then a finite difference method may be more appropriate than a finite element method.2. Use an adaptive approach if possible. This means that you can adjust the mesh size or the number of points used in the solution as it progresses, which can help to improve the accuracy and speed of convergence.3. Consider using a different software package, such as COMSOL or ANSYS, which have more sophisticated tools for solving PDEs.4. Look for specific methods designed for solving your type of equations. For example, if your equations are of the form of an elliptic partial differential equation (PDE), then there may be specific algorithms designed to solve this type of equation quickly and accurately.I hope these tips are helpful! Good luck!

1. How do I begin solving a set of partial differential equations?

In order to solve a set of partial differential equations, it is important to first identify the type of equation and understand the boundary and initial conditions. Then, you can apply the appropriate methods and techniques, such as separation of variables or numerical methods, to solve the equations.

2. Can partial differential equations with multiple variables be solved analytically?

It is possible to solve partial differential equations with multiple variables analytically, but it can be a complex and time-consuming process. In most cases, numerical methods are used to approximate the solutions.

3. What role do boundary conditions play in solving partial differential equations?

Boundary conditions are essential in solving partial differential equations as they provide information about the behavior of the solution at the boundaries of the domain. They help to determine the unique solution to the equations.

4. How many solutions can I expect when solving a set of partial differential equations with multiple variables?

The number of solutions can vary depending on the specific set of equations and conditions. In some cases, there may be a unique solution, while in others there may be an infinite number of solutions. It is important to carefully consider the equations and conditions to determine the possible solutions.

5. Are there any software programs that can help with solving partial differential equations?

Yes, there are various software programs, such as MATLAB, Mathematica, and Maple, that have built-in functions for solving partial differential equations. These programs can be useful for solving complex equations and obtaining numerical solutions.