Universe Expansion: Is Merging Possible?

In summary: This uniformity is one of the strongest pieces of evidence for the Big Bang theory.Overall, the conversation centers around the concept of multiple universes and their potential interactions with each other. The experts believe it is highly likely that there are many universes, but there is no evidence to suggest that our universe is currently merging with another one. The uniformity of the expansion in all directions supports the Big Bang theory and the idea that our observable universe is only a small part of a larger system. There is no evidence to suggest that our universe is swirling around its own gravitational pull.
starligh98
Is it possible that our universe is just one of more universes and that our universe just appears to be expanding because we are actually merging with another universe? Just wondering if it would be a plausible explanation. Maybe the pull from the other universe against the pull from ours makes is seen like an expansion. What do you real scientist think?

Space news on Phys.org
Expansion appears to be quite uniform in all directions. If expansion/illusion of expansion is affected by another universe, there would have to be some mechanism that would cause that expansion to appear to be uniform.

I believe it is highly likely that there are many universes. However, because of the uniformity of the expansion, I am of the opinion that our universe is not currently interacting with another universe.

starligh98 said:
Is it possible that our universe is just one of more universes and that our universe just appears to be expanding because we are actually merging with another universe?
No. There is absolutely no model that would give anything looking like expansion from anything that could be called "merging of universes".

There are local differences in galaxy motion. But they are within our universe.

Okay. Is it possible that our observable universe is only a small part of a system that is swirling around it's own gravitational pull and that there are other systems that are doing the same? Are we able to see expansion in all directions? mfb, I'm not a scholar and I don't understand everything. I'm just curious, so if you could explain some of your answers, I would appreciate it. Thanks to you both for answering my questions.

have you seen this illustration of the OU?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b6/Earth%27s_Location_in_the_Universe_%28JPEG%29.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
starligh98 said:
Okay. Is it possible that our observable universe is only a small part of a system that is swirling around it's own gravitational pull and that there are other systems that are doing the same?
What do you mean with "swirling around it's own gravitational pull"?

It is always possible that there are other universes without any connection to ours. And it is impossible to rule that out.

Are we able to see expansion in all directions?
Yes, and it is the same rate in all directions.

1. What causes the expansion of the universe?

The expansion of the universe is believed to be caused by a force called dark energy, which makes up about 70% of the universe's total energy. Dark energy is thought to be responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe.

2. Is the expansion of the universe continuous?

Yes, the expansion of the universe is continuous and ongoing. It is not something that happened in the past and then stopped, but rather it is a continuous process that is still happening today.

3. Can the expansion of the universe reverse or slow down?

Currently, there is no evidence to suggest that the expansion of the universe will reverse or slow down. In fact, recent observations have shown that the expansion is actually accelerating due to the presence of dark energy.

4. What is the role of gravity in the expansion of the universe?

Gravity plays a role in the expansion of the universe by slowing down the rate of expansion. However, the force of dark energy is stronger, which is why the expansion is still accelerating despite the influence of gravity.

5. Is it possible for galaxies to merge as the universe expands?

Yes, it is possible for galaxies to merge as the universe expands. However, the rate of expansion is so fast that it is unlikely for galaxies to merge in the near future. It is estimated that the Milky Way and Andromeda galaxies will collide and merge in about 4 billion years due to the expansion of the universe.