Can You Build Your Own Computer with Limited Knowledge of Electrical Circuits?

In summary: I cant really offer much help in that department. However, it sounds like the odds of him messing it up are pretty low.
I wouldn't say that the ESD industry is responsible for 'bullet proof' products concerning ESD. The ESD industry I have in mind is responsible for products used to safely handle the parts. Grounding straps, conductive finishes, containers and so on...

The folks repsonsible for the 'bullet proof' products are those who design the ICs used in todays products. Protection diodes that can handle a fairly large discharge current and so-on. ESD damage can be very subtle. It can cause a leaky protection diode on the PIN of an IC for instance. I agree with Dngrsone on this. Just because you can zap your mother board and have no sign of damage, why take the chance? I also wouldn't count on any of the insulating coating (solder mask) on a PC board or interconnects helping at all against ESD.

However, just because you aren't wearing a grounding strap doesn't mean that you are a huge threat. There are other ways that the charge leaks off of your body.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Averagesupernova said:
I also wouldn't count on any of the insulating coating (solder mask) on a PC board or interconnects helping at all against ESD.

The mask helps reduce the chance of EM-induced discharges.