Ligers and Tigons and Bears, Oh My

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
In summary, a woman was abducted and beaten by men trying to force her into a marriage, and was found being guarded by three lions who apparently had chased off her captors. This is an amazing story.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
That thing is huge! And I agree, I want one too! Looks big and cuddly :smile:

That's my type of animal. :approve: Simply adoring. :!) :!) :!)

Daniel.

He'd be even better protection than a Rottweiler, I think. :approve:

He'd have Rotweillers for breakfast...:devil:

Daniel.

Math Is Hard said:
He'd be even better protection than a Rottweiler, I think. :approve:
Real report today on MSN - Lions Rescue, Guard Beaten Ethiopian Girl
By ANTHONY MITCHELL

The Associated Press
Updated: 8:37 p.m. ET June 21, 2005ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia - A 12-year-old girl who was abducted and beaten by men trying to force her into a marriage was found being guarded by three lions who apparently had chased off her captors, a policeman said Tuesday.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8303635/

Thats one BIG kitty! Imagine the size litter box that's required!

Math Is Hard said:
:cry: I want a Liger! :cry:

http://media.damnfunnypictures.com/dfp/liger1.jpg

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/liger.asp

These are soooooooo cool. But I'd bet that you wouldn't want one after cleaning the litter box!

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't believe that nobody here has ever heard of a lyger...

This is like interracial couples in the us

this is so cool. i think we need to breed a lion-human bybrid.

kant said:
this is so cool. i think we need to breed a lion-human bybrid.
Don't we already have Tina Turner? She is beautiful!

I never thought of this before, but would a hybrid inherit the instincts of both parents equally, or favour one? (I know that it's hard to tell with cats...)

He (Hercules) was three years old in 1985 (when picture was taken), and then stood 10 feet tall on his hind legs, and weighed about 1,000 lbs. At maturity (which should be about now) he is expected to reach 12 feet in length and weight about 1,250 lbs. He eats about 20 lbs of meat (beef or chicken) per day, and he can consume up to 100 lbs of food in one sitting.

Pretty cool animal.

yomamma said:
I can't believe that nobody here has ever heard of a lyger...
Yeah. Not to be mean, but. Yeah. Then again, I think the only popularization was Napoleon Dynamite. I think they spelled it wrong though?

The Liger is the biggest cat in the world.

I remember learning of these guys a few years back when my girlfriend and I were trying to determine who would win in a fight between a lion and a tiger. Ligers are ridiculous. That thing's head is the size of that woman's entire torso.

1. What are ligers and tigons?

Ligers and tigons are hybrid animals that are a result of breeding between a male lion and a female tiger (ligers) or a male tiger and a female lion (tigons). They have characteristics of both species, with ligers being larger and tigons being smaller in size.

2. Are ligers and tigons considered natural or man-made animals?

Ligers and tigons are considered man-made animals as they do not occur in nature. They can only be produced through human interference and controlled breeding.

3. How do ligers and tigons differ from each other?

Ligers are typically larger than tigons, with males weighing up to 900 pounds and females weighing up to 600 pounds. Tigons, on the other hand, are smaller, with males weighing up to 400 pounds and females weighing up to 300 pounds. They also have different physical characteristics, such as the shape of their head and the color of their fur.

4. Can ligers and tigons reproduce?

No, ligers and tigons are sterile and cannot reproduce. This is because they are a hybrid of two different species and have an uneven number of chromosomes, making it impossible for them to produce viable offspring.

5. Do ligers and tigons have any health issues due to their hybrid nature?

While ligers and tigons may have some health issues, they are not necessarily related to their hybrid nature. Like any other animal, they can suffer from health problems due to genetics, diet, and environmental factors. However, some experts believe that the size difference between the two species may cause health issues for ligers and tigons.