Challenging math questions involving polynomial functions

In summary, the conversation discussed various mathematical problems and solutions, including finding the remainder of a polynomial when divided by a specific polynomial, showing a relationship between the factors of a polynomial and its coefficients, and using the division algorithm to find the remainder of a polynomial. The conversation also addressed unknown coefficients and the use of equations to solve for them.
an_mui
Any help with the following is appreciated. Thank you!

2. If 2x^3 - 9x^2 + 13x + k is divisible by x - 2, then it is also divisible by x -1.

I don't understand why this statement is true

8. An unknown polynomial f(x) of degree 37 yields a remainder of 1 when divided by x - 1, a remainder of 3 when divided by x - 3, a remainder of 21 when divided by x - 5.
Find the remainder when f(x) is divided by (x-1)(x-3)(x-5)

9. If ax^3 + bx + c, with a not equal 0, c not equal 0, has a factor of the form x^2 + px + 1, show that a^2 - c^2 = ab

10. Given that the cubic equation x^3 - 3x^2 + ax + b = 0 has rational coefficients and has the root - 1 + sqrt(3)i, determine the values of a and b.

Physics news on Phys.org
2. Hint:
If P(x) is divisible by x-2, what must then P(2) be?

What have you tried on any of these?

f (1) = ...a + b + c = 1
f (3) = ...9a + 3b + c = 3
f (5) = ...25a + 5b + c = 21

I know degree of f(x) = 37, which means that there's more than just a, b and c. However, I have no idea how to do this kind of questions. Sorry i forgot to show the work that i did.

ax^3 + bx + c = f(x)
x^2 + px + 1 --> factor is of degree 2 so in order to get ax^3, I would need ax.
hm... so the factored form would be ...
(x^2 + px + 1)(x - h) = 0

this is all i could come up with on my own

x1 = - 1 + sqrt(3)i
x2 = - 1 - sqrt(3)i
x3 = x3

so the factored form would be ...

(x - x3)(x - (-1 + sqrt(3)i)(x - (-1 - sqrt(3)i) = 0
(x - x3)(x^2 + 2x + 4) = x^3 - 3x^2 + ax + b

8. I think the division theorem would be much more fruitful. (Modular arithmetic better, if you've done arithmetic modulo a polynomial before)

You want to write f(x) = q(x) (x-1)(x-3)(x-5) + r(x), and you don't care about the actual value of q(x), just that degree(r) < 3.

9. the factored form would be ... (x^2 + px + 1)(x - h) = 0

Why do you have "= 0"? You're not solving an equation, you're factoring a polynomial! You want f(x) = something, not 0 = something! (I won't say more yet, I'll give you a chance to figure it out)

(x - x3)(x - (-1 + sqrt(3)i)(x - (-1 - sqrt(3)i) = 0

No. Weren't you saying you were trying to factor f(x)? If so, then why are you introducing an "=0"?

(x - x3)(x^2 + 2x + 4) = x^3 - 3x^2 + ax + b

This one is correct, though, but why'd you stop there?

Last edited:
Hi I solved 10. Could I get more hints on 8 and 9 though... I am still having troubles with them.

9. If ax^3 + bx + c, with a not equal 0, c not equal 0, has a factor of the form x^2 + px + 1, show that a^2 - c^2 = ab

Well if ax³ + bx + c has a factor of the form x² + px + 1, then you know there is some polynomial r(x) such that:

r(x)(x² + px + 1) = ax³ + bx + c

Now you should be able to say something about the degree of r, as well as the leading coefficient of r. Do you know what those facts are?

8. An unknown polynomial f(x) of degree 37 yields a remainder of 1 when divided by x - 1, a remainder of 3 when divided by x - 3, a remainder of 21 when divided by x - 5.
Find the remainder when f(x) is divided by (x-1)(x-3)(x-5)

Well you know that you can write f(x) = q(x)[(x-1)(x-3)(x-5)] + r(x). This is simply a consequence of the division algorithm, and the division algorithm tells you something about the degree of r. Knowing the degree of r, you can write r as a polynomial with unknown coefficients. You know that dividing f(x) by (x-1) gives a remainder of 1, so you know that:

f(x)/(x-1) = q(x)(x-3)(x-5) + r(x)/(x-1) has a remainder of 1, which simply means that:

r(x)/(x-1) has a remainder of 1. Using division algorithm again, you can say:

r(x) = q(x)(x - 1) + 1, since you know 1 to be the remainder. Since you should already know the degree of r, you know the degree of q. In fact, you also know how to express the leading coefficient of q in terms of the leading coefficient of r. You can make two more similar equations:

r(x) = p(x)(x - 3) + 3
r(x) = t(x)(x - 5) + 21

There are a certain number of unknown coefficients in r, and a number of unknown coefficients in each of the p, q, and t. But given these equations, as well as the fact that:

ax² + bx + c = a'x² + b'x + c' for all x if and only if a = a', b = b' and c = c'

you should be able to come up with n equations with n unknowns, and solving for your unknowns will include solving for those unknown coefficients in r, and r is the remainder you're looking for.

sorry i just realized i made a big mistake -_-! This isn't college math, this is just grade 12 calculus math. I don't know what the division theorem is! I am so sorry!

What is a polynomial function?

A polynomial function is a mathematical function that consists of one or more terms, each of which is a constant multiplied by a variable raised to a non-negative integer power. For example, f(x) = 3x^2 + 5x + 2 is a polynomial function.

What makes a math question involving polynomial functions challenging?

A challenging math question involving polynomial functions typically requires a combination of algebraic manipulation, critical thinking, and understanding of key concepts such as factoring, complex numbers, and graphing. These questions often involve multiple steps and may require the use of mathematical software or graphing calculators.

Can polynomial functions be used to model real-world situations?

Yes, polynomial functions can be used to model various real-world situations such as population growth, economic trends, and projectile motion. They can also be used to approximate complex curves and patterns.

How can I improve my problem-solving skills for challenging math questions involving polynomial functions?

To improve your problem-solving skills for these types of questions, it is important to practice regularly and develop a strong understanding of key concepts such as polynomial operations, factoring, and graphing. Additionally, it can be helpful to seek out additional resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems.

Are there any strategies for approaching challenging math questions involving polynomial functions?

Some strategies for approaching these types of questions include carefully reading and understanding the problem, breaking it down into smaller, manageable steps, and checking your work for errors. It can also be helpful to use visual aids such as graphs or diagrams to better understand the problem.