How Do You Calculate Molar Masses from Diffusion Rates and Density?

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about a gas mixture with equal numbers of moles of two gases, having a density of 1.47g/L at 1.00 atm and 298K. One of the gases diffuses 1.25 times faster than the other, and the respective molar masses of the two gases are being sought. The equation 1.25=\sqrt{\frac{M_B}{M_A}} is derived, but the next steps are unclear. The ideal gas law is mentioned, but it is unclear how to apply it to a mixture of gases. Eventually, lightgrav suggests using the equation (n_moles/V)(m/mole) to find the molar masses, and the conversation
Canuck156
Hi, this is the question I'm having trouble with:

A gas mixture is known to contain equal numbers of moles of two gases. The mixture has a density of 1.47g/L at 1.00 atm and 298K. In a diffusion experiment, one of the gases was found to diffuse 1.25 times faster than the other under the same conditions. What are the respective molar mases of the two gases?

I've found that [tex]1.25=\sqrt{\frac{M_B}{M_A}}[/tex] Therefore [tex]1.5625=\frac{M_B}{M_A}[/tex], where [tex]M_B[/tex] is the molar mass of gas B. However, from there I have no idea where to go next. I think I'm supposed to use the ideal gas law, but I'm not sure how to apply it when there's a mixture of gases. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Nobody knows how to do this? Come on, surely someone must be able to help? :smile:

does the ideal gas law depend on
what those 10^23 objects are?
(an ideal gas = atoms don't interact)

so find (n_moles/V)(m/mole).

Oh... OK, I get it now. Thanks lightgrav. I didn't realize that that was one of the properties of an ideal gas... Maybe I shouldn't be doing University Chem without having done High School Chem first... :rolleyes:

1. What is the Ideal Gas Law?

The Ideal Gas Law is a fundamental equation in physics that describes the relationship between pressure, volume, temperature, and the number of moles of gas. It is expressed as PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature.

2. What is the Molar Mass?

Molar mass is the mass of one mole of a substance, expressed in grams per mole. It is calculated by adding up the atomic masses of the elements in a molecule. Molar mass is important in the Ideal Gas Law as it is used to convert between the number of moles and the mass of a gas.

3. How is the Ideal Gas Law used in real life?

The Ideal Gas Law is used in many real-life applications, such as in the production of industrial gases, the design of compressed gas cylinders, and the study of the Earth's atmosphere. It is also used in the field of thermodynamics to model the behavior of gases in different conditions.

4. What are the assumptions of the Ideal Gas Law?

The Ideal Gas Law assumes that the gas particles have negligible volume and do not interact with each other. It also assumes that the gas is at a constant temperature and that the particles are in constant, random motion. These assumptions may not hold true for real gases at high pressures or low temperatures.

5. How does the Ideal Gas Law relate to the Kinetic Molecular Theory?

The Ideal Gas Law is based on the Kinetic Molecular Theory, which states that gases are made up of particles in constant, random motion. The theory also explains the relationship between the temperature and kinetic energy of the gas particles. The Ideal Gas Law uses these principles to describe the behavior of gases in different conditions.