Change of momentum and kinetic energy

In summary: I was getting a bit confused! In summary, when you calculate the force of deceleration, you use the momentum lost formula (I = mv - mu) rather than the work done formula (KE lost = Work done = F*d).
kgthatsme
Im probably being stupid here but I am confused as to when you can use the impulse formula: I = F*t and when you use F*d = 0.5mv^2 for finding a constant applied force.

If a particle's moving at a constant velocity decelerating to 0m/s in a set distance when acted upon by a constant force f, the force I calculate is double when I use I = F*t (momentum lost = force * time of application) than that of when I use
KE lost = Work done = F*d

e.g m= 3Kg u = 4m/s stopping distance(x)= 5m

Using momentum: I = mv - mu = 12Ns

meanwhile v=4 m/s
therefore dx = 4t by integration
ds = 5m
therefore t = 5/4 s

So using I = F*t
F= I/t
F= 12/1.25
F= 9.6N

Using K.E
KE lost = Work done = F*x

F*x = 0.5mv^2
F*x = 0.5*3*4^2
F*x = 24
x=5m
therefore F= 24/5
F= 4.8 N

Why is this half? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
So you're trying to compute the force...This means finding the acceleration,which means that the velocity is not constant,which means that your integration was wrong...The whole post is wrong,actually.

For constant accelerated movement,we know Galilei's formula:
[tex] v^{2}_{fin.}=v^{2}_{init.}+2a x [/tex]
If the final velocity is 0,and the initial one is 4m/s,then,for the distance of movement x=5m,then the accleration is negative and found to be
[tex] a=-\frac{8}{5}ms^{-2} [/tex]
For a body of mass "m=3kg",the force of deceleration is negative as well and
[tex] F=ma=-\frac{24}{5}N=-4.8 N [/tex]
,which is exactly what u get by applying the KE conservation law.
U did that wrongly and u ended up without the minus.

Daniel.

kgthatsme said:
meanwhile v=4 m/s
therefore dx = 4t by integration
ds = 5m
therefore t = 5/4 s

This wrong because you also need to calculate the negative acceleration that expresses the fact that you slow down. x =4t is wrong...

You can easely calculate this velocity if you know that the initial velocity is 4 m/s and the stopping distance is 3 meters. Just use : x = x_0 + 4t -at²/2 and (x_0 is the initial position)

v = 4 -at. When x-x_0 is 3 you have stopped thus v = 0. so t = 4/a and substitute this in the first equation to find the magnitude of a. Remeber that is a MUST be negative...

then move on just like you did...
regards
marlon

Last edited:
This may help you: plot v as a function of t assuming a constant deceleration. It will be a straight line with slope [itex]a = \Delta v/\Delta t[/itex]. The area under the graph is the distance. You can see that it is:

[tex]s = \frac{1}{2}\Delta v\Delta t[/tex]

AM

many thanks

1. What is the difference between momentum and kinetic energy?

Momentum is a measure of an object's mass and velocity, while kinetic energy is a measure of an object's mass and speed.

2. How does a change in momentum affect kinetic energy?

A change in momentum, such as through a collision, will also result in a change in kinetic energy. If the momentum increases, the kinetic energy will also increase, and vice versa.

3. What is the law of conservation of momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a system remains constant in the absence of external forces.

4. How does the mass and velocity of an object affect its momentum and kinetic energy?

The momentum of an object is directly proportional to its mass and velocity. The greater the mass and velocity, the greater the momentum and kinetic energy.

5. Can an object have a change in momentum without a change in kinetic energy?

Yes, this can occur when an external force acts on the object, causing a change in momentum, but the kinetic energy remains constant. For example, in an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy remains the same even though there is a change in momentum.