I'm on a second bachelors - how much will the first drag me down?

In summary, the conversation is about a person's academic journey and their concerns about how their previous academic experience will affect their chances of getting into dental or medical school. The person has had a difficult time in their first bachelor's degree, but is now doing well in an engineering program. They are questioning if their past struggles will impact their chances of getting into a competitive medical school. It is noted that a 4.0 GPA and strong extracurriculars are the most desirable for medical school admissions, but having a degree in biomedical engineering or biology may also be advantageous. Ultimately, the person's chances will depend on the competitiveness of the med schools they apply to, as well as their application letter and references.
vjk2
I'm on a second bachelors -- how much will the first drag me down?

I did very badly at my first shot at college. It took me 5 years to barely graduate with an english literature degree. I hated life in college, but I especially hated life after college.

In that time I went up to Physics 2 and Calc 3 and passed with C's. I withdrew from Chem after missing an exam due to my disorganization.

Now I'm back in school in an engineering program. Bachelors.

I'm doing pretty well. I'm taking Chem and am on track to get an A. I'm retaking Calculus 3 and am on track to get an A. The other classes I have are A's from the looks of it. I may even be able to make the deans list, which would be pretty awesome.

So here's the thing. I'm not really feeling the engineering classes right now. I'm enjoying Chem the most. I'm continuing with Chem 2 next semester even though I don't have to so I can keep my options open.

If say, I wanted to pursue dental or medical school, how much would my previous 5 years of misery weigh against me? If say my first pathetic BA was like a 2.8, but my GPA in the second BS is like a 3.7

Physics news on Phys.org

vjk2 said:
If say, I wanted to pursue dental or medical school, how much would my previous 5 years of misery weigh against me? If say my first pathetic BA was like a 2.8, but my GPA in the second BS is like a 3.7

It will depend on how competitve the med school is. The only real shoe-ins for most med schools are a 4.0 gpa and respectable extracurriculars. Below that, your admission will depend on the crop of students that year and your application letter and references.

I have a friend with a 3.6 GPA, it took him 2 years of applying to med schools all over the place before he was accepted by one. Not sure if your english lit degree with help or hurt, my guess is neither as long as you have an excellent GPA in you applicable degree. For most med schools, a degree in biomedical engineering, biology, or related will be your best bet.

I understand the importance of data and evidence in decision making. It is commendable that you have returned to school and are excelling in your engineering program. Your improved grades and dedication to your studies are a positive indication of your academic abilities and potential for success in dental or medical school.

While your previous GPA may not have been as high as you would have liked, it is important to remember that it is just one aspect of your overall academic record. Admissions committees for dental and medical schools also consider other factors such as your personal statement, letters of recommendation, and extracurricular activities. It is possible that your previous struggles in college may be seen as a learning experience and a demonstration of your resilience and determination to succeed.

Furthermore, your current high GPA in your second bachelors program will also show your commitment and ability to excel in a rigorous academic environment. It is important to focus on your current academic achievements and continue to strive for excellence in all of your courses.

In addition, your passion for chemistry and your decision to continue taking additional courses in the subject can also be seen as a positive factor in your application to dental or medical school. Demonstrating a strong interest and dedication to a particular subject can showcase your enthusiasm and potential for success in a related field.

Overall, while your previous GPA may be a consideration in the admissions process, it is not the only determining factor. Your current academic performance, as well as your personal growth and development since your first bachelors degree, will also be taken into account. Stay focused on your goals and continue to excel in your studies, and I am confident that you will have a strong chance of being accepted into dental or medical school.

What is a second bachelor's degree?

A second bachelor's degree is an additional undergraduate degree that a person can pursue after completing their first bachelor's degree. It is typically pursued in a different field of study than the first degree.

How does having a first bachelor's degree affect the pursuit of a second bachelor's degree?

Having a first bachelor's degree may affect the pursuit of a second bachelor's degree in terms of credit transfer and course requirements. Some credits from the first degree may transfer over to the second degree, reducing the number of courses needed to complete the second degree. However, the course requirements for the second degree may also be more strict for those with a previous degree.

Will my first bachelor's degree hold me back in the job market if I pursue a second bachelor's degree?

Having a first bachelor's degree should not hold you back in the job market if you pursue a second bachelor's degree. Employers may see it as a valuable asset, showcasing your dedication and ability to learn in multiple fields of study.

Can I get financial aid for a second bachelor's degree?

It is possible to receive financial aid for a second bachelor's degree, but it may be more limited compared to the aid available for a first degree. This is because some forms of financial aid, such as Pell Grants, are only available for undergraduate study for a limited amount of time.

What are the benefits of pursuing a second bachelor's degree?

The benefits of pursuing a second bachelor's degree are gaining knowledge and skills in a new field, expanding career options, and potentially increasing job opportunities and earning potential. It can also be a way to explore a new interest or passion. Additionally, having two degrees may make you stand out to employers and give you a competitive edge in the job market.