Kinematics of a Slender Bar with Constrained End Rollers

In summary, the small end rollers of the 3.6 kg uniform slender bar are constrained to move in the slow, which lies in a vertical plane. A the instant theta=30 the angular velocity of the bar is 2 d/sunter-clockwise. Determne the angular acceleration of the bar,k the reaction at A and B, and the acceleration of point A and B under the action of the 26 N force P. Neglect the friction and the mass of the small rollers.
yoamocuy

Homework Statement

The small end rollers of the 3.6 kg uniform slender bar are constrained to move in the slow, which lies in a vertical plane. A the instant theta=30 the angular velocity of the bar is 2 d/sunter-clockwise. Determne the angular acceleration of the bar,k the reaction at A and B, and the acceleration of point A and B under the action of the 26 N force P. Neglect the friction and the mass of the small rollers.

Homework Equations

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]F=ma
[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Mp=I*alpha

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so I'm having problems starting this problem. I was thinking that I could set my coordinate so that the x-axis is in line with the 26N force P and do a sum of the forces in the x and y direction and a sum of the moments, but I'm not sure how that would work since I have 2 separate accelerations at point A and B. Would I need to use the equation aB=aA+alpha X rB/A-omega2*rB/A somehow? I think once I figure out how to get started on this question I'll be able to figure out how to solve the rest of it...

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 408
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi yoamocuy! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and an alpha: α and a sigma: ∑ :wink:)
yoamocuy said:
The small end rollers of the 3.6 kg uniform slender bar are constrained to move in the slow, which lies in a vertical plane. A the instant theta=30 the angular velocity of the bar is 2 d/sunter-clockwise. Determne the angular acceleration of the bar,k the reaction at A and B, and the acceleration of point A and B under the action of the 26 N force P. Neglect the friction and the mass of the small rollers.

(did you mean deg/s ?)

Yes, use x and y coordinates, but do everything as a function of θ (in particular, this will give you a relation between aA and aB). :smile:

(no need to do anything fancy like rotating coordinates :wink:)

tiny-tim said:
(did you mean deg/s ?)
I meant rad/s :P

I attached another diagram with an axis drawn in. So, when you say to leave it in terms of θ, do you
mean something like this?

∑Fx=26cos(θ1)+Mgtan(θ2)+Ax=3.6a

θ1=15o
θ2=30o

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 359
Last edited:
yoamocuy said:
… do you
mean something like this?

Sum of Fx=26cos(θ1)+Mgtan(θ2)+Ax=3.6a

Sorry, I have no idea what you're doing. :redface:

Start by finding the equation of motion …

use conservation of energy.​

How would use the conservation of energy for this problem? Isn't the rod at the same position for the entire problem? I can set up 1 side of the conservatin of energy to be equal to .5*I*ω2+mgh where I=(1/3)*3.6*1.22, and h=0.4392m, but I don't think I have another half of the equation.

O, could I use the equation d=vf2-vo2/2*a? So id have 30o=ωf2-ωo2/2*alhpa
ωf=2, ωo=0 and 30o=pi/6=0.523599

So plugging in all values and solving for alpha would give me alpha=3.82 rad/s2

Then I thnk I could do a sum of the moments and forces to find the reaction forces at a and b but how would I find the accelerations?

Ok, I used that value for alpha and tried to do a sum of the moments, sum of the forces in the x direction, and some of the forces in the y direction to solve for the forces at each roller. After much geometry I ended up with 3 equations that look like this:

1) ∑M=.424B-.52A+11.04=6.6

6.6 is the product I*alpha, A is the force at the top roller and B is the force at the bottom roller.

2)∑Fx=26*cos(15)+B*sin(15)+A=3.6*a

a=acceleration of entire rigid body?

3)∑Fy=-26*sin15+B*cos(15)-3.6*9.81=3.6*a

note: I used the coordinate system drawn on my 2nd diagram.

So after solving for all 3 variables I got numbers that don't seem logical... so basically I'm kinda stuck at this point. I'm not sure if I'm even approaching this problem in the right manner.

Any advice?

conservation of energy

Good morning! o:)
yoamocuy said:
How would use the conservation of energy for this problem? Isn't the rod at the same position for the entire problem? I can set up 1 side of the conservatin of energy to be equal to .5*I*ω2+mgh where I=(1/3)*3.6*1.22, and h=0.4392m, but I don't think I have another half of the equation.

There is no other side … it's just 1/2 Iω2 + mgh = constant. :wink:

(except that the centre of mass is moving, so KE = KEtrans + KErot, so you have to add on 1/2 mvc.o.m2)

Alright I got the answer, thanks for your help.

1. What is meant by "kinetics of rigid body"?

The kinetics of rigid body is the study of the motion of a body that maintains its shape and size, and does not deform under the influence of external forces.

2. What are the factors that affect the kinetics of a rigid body?

The kinetics of a rigid body is affected by factors such as the mass of the body, the external forces acting on it, and the distribution of mass within the body.

3. What is the difference between kinetics and kinematics of a rigid body?

Kinematics deals with the description of motion without considering the forces that cause the motion, while kinetics takes into account the forces and their effects on the motion of a body.

4. How is the motion of a rigid body described mathematically?

The motion of a rigid body can be described using equations that relate the position, velocity, and acceleration of the body in terms of time and external forces.

5. What are some real-world applications of the kinetics of rigid bodies?

The study of kinetics of rigid bodies has many practical applications, such as analyzing the motion of vehicles, predicting the trajectory of projectiles, and designing machines and structures that can withstand external forces.