Age-mass-magnitude relation

• Thread starter randa177
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relation
In summary, the question is about the mathematical relation that describes the age, mass, and apparent magnitude (V) of a star cluster, specifically in relation to the HR diagram and the mass-luminosity relation. The first relation mentioned (L~M^3) is incorrect for star clusters. The age can be estimated from the HR diagram's main-sequence turn-off point, and the V magnitude can also be obtained from the HR diagram. To create a plot of V vs log age for different masses, the spectra of all stars in the cluster need to be convolved with the V-band filter profile and compared to a reference spectrum. However, if the spectra of stars are not available, there may be another method to determine this mathematical
randa177
I've been searching inliterature/trying to solve on my own this dilemma:

What is the mathematical relation that describes the age, mass and apparent magnitude (V) of a star cluster?

I know the mass luminosity relation L=M3
I also know that m = - 2.5 log L
And we can get the age from the HR diagram... but how does it mathematically relate to the magnitude (V) and mass... any idea?

(The reason I am asking this is that the modern stellar synthesis models can create the plot of V vs log age for different masses, but what is the relation governing these factors? )

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Does my question make sense?

Yes, it does. At least most of it. The first relation you quote (L~M^3) is wrong, it holds for stars, not for star clusters. For a star cluster (of sufficiently high mass, higher than about 1000 Msun) the mass and luminosity are linearly proportional to each other (makes sense right? N times more stars, N times more light).

We can get the age from the HR diagram? I presume you mean you can estimate the age from the HR diagram main-sequence turn-off point. That is true. But if you have all stars in an HR diagram too, you might also have its V magnitude (unless it's in bolometric luminosities).

To get the plot you are referring you need to convolve all spectra of all stars (or the composite spectrum of all stars) with the V-band filter profile and compare that to a reference spectrum that belongs to the magnitude system (flat for AB magnitudes, Vega's spectrum for vegamags and so on).

Let me know if you need more info!

harcel said:
Yes, it does. At least most of it. The first relation you quote (L~M^3) is wrong, it holds for stars, not for star clusters. For a star cluster (of sufficiently high mass, higher than about 1000 Msun) the mass and luminosity are linearly proportional to each other (makes sense right? N times more stars, N times more light).

We can get the age from the HR diagram? I presume you mean you can estimate the age from the HR diagram main-sequence turn-off point. That is true. But if you have all stars in an HR diagram too, you might also have its V magnitude (unless it's in bolometric luminosities).

To get the plot you are referring you need to convolve all spectra of all stars (or the composite spectrum of all stars) with the V-band filter profile and compare that to a reference spectrum that belongs to the magnitude system (flat for AB magnitudes, Vega's spectrum for vegamags and so on).

Let me know if you need more info!

It took me a while to reply back, but I am still struggling with this question. The problem si that I don't have the spectra of all stars (I actuall don't have any spectrum of any star in the cluster). Is there another way to do it?

The mathematical relation that describes the age, mass, and apparent magnitude (V) of a star cluster is known as the mass-luminosity-age relation. This relation takes into account the mass-luminosity relation, which states that the luminosity of a star is proportional to its mass raised to the third power (L ∝ M^3). It also takes into account the relationship between apparent magnitude and luminosity, which is given by m = -2.5 log L.

The age factor is determined by using the Hertzsprung-Russell (HR) diagram, which plots the luminosity and temperature of stars. By comparing the location of a star on the HR diagram to theoretical models, the age of the star can be estimated.

So, the mathematical relation can be written as:

V = -2.5 log (M^3) + b log(age)

Where b is a constant that takes into account the relationship between apparent magnitude and luminosity. This equation shows that the apparent magnitude of a star cluster is dependent on its mass and age. As the mass increases, the luminosity and thus the magnitude increases. Similarly, as the age increases, the luminosity decreases and the magnitude also decreases.

It is important to note that this relation is based on theoretical models and may not accurately represent the actual properties of a star cluster. Additionally, the constant b may vary depending on the composition and evolutionary stage of the stars in the cluster.

In conclusion, the mass-luminosity-age relation provides a mathematical description of the relationship between the age, mass, and apparent magnitude of a star cluster. It is a useful tool for understanding the properties of stars and their evolution.

What is the age-mass-magnitude relation?

The age-mass-magnitude relation is a scientific concept that describes the correlation between the age, mass, and magnitude (brightness) of stars. It states that the age of a star is related to its mass and brightness, with more massive stars being younger and brighter than less massive ones.

How is the age-mass-magnitude relation used in astrophysics?

The age-mass-magnitude relation is an important tool in astrophysics for understanding the evolution and behavior of stars. By studying the relationship between a star's age, mass, and magnitude, scientists can make predictions about its lifecycle, including how long it will live and how it will change over time.

What factors affect the age-mass-magnitude relation?

Several factors can influence the age-mass-magnitude relation, including a star's chemical composition, rotation rate, and environment. These factors can impact a star's formation and evolution, ultimately affecting its age, mass, and brightness.

Is there a specific formula for the age-mass-magnitude relation?

No, there is not a specific formula for the age-mass-magnitude relation. It is a general concept that has been observed and studied through various astronomical observations and models. Different equations and methods may be used by scientists depending on the specific study or research being conducted.

How does the age-mass-magnitude relation differ for different types of stars?

The age-mass-magnitude relation can vary for different types of stars, such as main sequence stars, red giants, and white dwarfs. This is because each type of star has a unique formation and evolutionary path, which can affect its age, mass, and magnitude. However, the overall concept of the relation remains the same for all stars.