Why is there starvation in human populations?

• Thread starter m.e.t.a.
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Human
In summary: Is there overpopulation? Is starvation caused, in part, by the human population growing unchecked until it is too large for the available farmland to support? If so, what factors contribute to this overpopulation?i) There is insufficient birth control (and the instinct to copulate is too strong to resist).ii) There is widespread rape in the region.iii) It is traditional or customary to have many children.iv) Having many children benefits you personally (e.g. the children will grow into adults who will then help support you and your family).v) There is mass immigration to the region.vi) Other factors...?Yes, overpopulation is definitely a
fuzzyfelt said:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-10766941

"In the Netherlands, insect rearing companies are already in business, typically they tend to breed large beetles, crickets and locusts."

There seems to be some farming of insects, as well as other observations.

Interesting stuff! Especially this bit;

"It's also possible, though not yet commercially viable, to extract the protein, and produce a kind of meat substitute, similar to the Quorn products we're already used to"

Perhaps in the future we'll be able to buy McBeetle Burgers. But echoing DaveC this isn't related to starvation. The technology and infrastructure necessary to farm insects is orders of magnitude greater than that needed for farming mammals/birds etc. Can you imagine trying to clip the wings of a billion locus, or trying to stop your ants tunneling away :bugeye:

Physics news on Phys.org
DaveC426913 said:
Yep. I'm aware of that. But imagine the logistical feat involved in extracting enough ants from an anthill to feed your family. I can't imagine how you'd do it at all, let alone practically.

Perhaps Politicians should start promising a Chocolate Fountain for every yard (to attract/coat/kill and render the ants appetizing)?

http://edible.com/shop/insectivore/ :)

Yes, I think the article I linked is more concerned with longer term global issues, and that insect farming in Europe could be an efficient use of resources to combat future famine.

But in warmer climes a main cause of famine is a lack of self-sufficiency in food. Generally insects are better suited to these climates, with faster rates of population growth. And like the article stated, they require less food and water to farm, and as a source of sustenance and you don’t have to eat as much to survive. And since it gives examples of insect farming in warmer environments, more insect farming is worth more thought.

Perhaps the difficulties ray m b raised could be overcome by harvest and consumption at pupae or the larvae stage which can last some years? E.g., witchety and bandi grubs or the long history of heliculture-

http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2009/01/13-02.html [Broken] ,
or learn harvest and enjoy rather intact or ground up - http://northlandfsc.blogspot.com/2011/03/crickets-theyre-not-just-for-breakfast.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC426913 said:
Certainly.

But I still refute the original claim that it is the distastefulness of eating insects that is a contributor to starvation.

Further, this idea doesn't really solve anything. Why would the local people be able to agrifarm bugs any better than any other food crop? They still need food, water, harvesting equipment etc.

The original idea of Dotini's might have been to take advantage of an existing unexploited food source, but we just refuted that and are back to the need to bring resources, technology, manpower and consumables into the picture.

I agree, this won't solve the problem. However, with proper education, harvesting could provide supplementary nutrition.

Anytime we start talking about large (unnatural) farming endeavors - I worry about unintended consequences.

WhoWee said:
Anytime we start talking about large (unnatural) farming endeavors - I worry about unintended consequences.
That's reasonable. There would be many considerations, including insecticides.

fuzzyfelt said:
That's reasonable. There would be many considerations, including insecticides.

Admittedly, I don't know much about termites, but harvesting them as a supplement sounds realistic in wooded areas. Additionally, I would think they could be grown most anywhere underground (to control temperature extremes) with some rotting wood (maybe sawdust?) and moisture?

This seems related to the original statement.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9990715

WhoWee said:
Admittedly, I don't know much about termites, but harvesting them as a supplement sounds realistic in wooded areas. Additionally, I would think they could be grown most anywhere underground (to control temperature extremes) with some rotting wood (maybe sawdust?) and moisture?

I don’t know much about termites either, WhoWee, but it sounds worth further thought.

Thanks WhoWee. The idea of farming farmers sounds very efficient!

fuzzyfelt said:
Thanks WhoWee. The idea of farming farmers sounds very efficient!

:rofl: Well, that's one way to look at it.

<h2>1. Why do some human populations experience starvation?</h2><p>There are a variety of factors that can contribute to starvation in human populations, including poverty, lack of access to resources, natural disasters, political instability, and unequal distribution of food. In many cases, it is a combination of these factors that leads to starvation.</p><h2>2. Can starvation be prevented?</h2><p>Yes, starvation can be prevented through various measures such as providing aid and resources to affected populations, implementing sustainable farming practices, promoting economic development, and addressing political and social issues that contribute to food insecurity. However, it requires a concerted effort from governments, organizations, and individuals to effectively prevent starvation.</p><h2>3. How does starvation affect human health?</h2><p>Starvation can have severe consequences on human health, including malnutrition, weakened immune system, stunted growth, and increased susceptibility to diseases. Prolonged starvation can also lead to organ failure and death.</p><h2>4. Is starvation a global issue?</h2><p>Yes, starvation is a global issue that affects millions of people worldwide. According to the World Food Programme, about 690 million people were affected by hunger in 2019. While some regions, such as Sub-Saharan Africa, are more heavily impacted, starvation can occur in any part of the world.</p><h2>5. What can individuals do to help address starvation?</h2><p>Individuals can help address starvation by supporting organizations and initiatives that provide aid and resources to affected populations, advocating for policies that promote food security, reducing food waste, and supporting sustainable farming practices. Additionally, educating oneself and raising awareness about the issue can also make a difference.</p>

1. Why do some human populations experience starvation?

There are a variety of factors that can contribute to starvation in human populations, including poverty, lack of access to resources, natural disasters, political instability, and unequal distribution of food. In many cases, it is a combination of these factors that leads to starvation.

2. Can starvation be prevented?

Yes, starvation can be prevented through various measures such as providing aid and resources to affected populations, implementing sustainable farming practices, promoting economic development, and addressing political and social issues that contribute to food insecurity. However, it requires a concerted effort from governments, organizations, and individuals to effectively prevent starvation.

3. How does starvation affect human health?

Starvation can have severe consequences on human health, including malnutrition, weakened immune system, stunted growth, and increased susceptibility to diseases. Prolonged starvation can also lead to organ failure and death.

4. Is starvation a global issue?

Yes, starvation is a global issue that affects millions of people worldwide. According to the World Food Programme, about 690 million people were affected by hunger in 2019. While some regions, such as Sub-Saharan Africa, are more heavily impacted, starvation can occur in any part of the world.

5. What can individuals do to help address starvation?

Individuals can help address starvation by supporting organizations and initiatives that provide aid and resources to affected populations, advocating for policies that promote food security, reducing food waste, and supporting sustainable farming practices. Additionally, educating oneself and raising awareness about the issue can also make a difference.