Thermodynamic Derivation of Wien's Law?

In summary, there is a thermodynamic derivation of Wien's Law that considers slow expansion of a cavity and Doppler shift of reflected radiation. However, most textbooks now derive it from Planck's law. The equation P=\frac{U^{*}}{3} relates to the first law of thermodynamics definition of work, PdV. The goal is to derive Wien's law from the first law.
Collisionman
Can someone tell me how I can derive Wien's law, i.e.,

[itex]\lambda_{max} T = constant[/itex]

where [itex]\lambda_{max}[/itex] is the peak wavelength and [itex]T[/itex] is the absolute temperature of the black body, using the equation,

[itex]P=\frac{U^{*}}{3}[/itex]

where [itex]U^{*}[/itex] is the energy density.

Note: I'm not looking for the derivation using Plank's formula. I'm looking for a purely thermodynamic derivation.

Thanks in advance!

Science news on Phys.org
what is P?

There is a thermodynamic derivation of Wien's Law in Heat and Thermodynamics by Roberts and Miller. It invokes considering slow expansion of a cavity, Doppler shift of reflected radiation, and so on. It is long and complicated, Maybe slicker derivations exist.
These day, most textbook writers don't bother with this sort of derivation, but derive it from Planck's law. But I know you don't want this.

Last edited:
MikeyW said:
what is P?

[itex]P[/itex] is the Radiation Pressure. It relates to the first law of termodynamics definition of work, [itex]PdV[/itex]. Basically, I'm looking to derive Wien's law from the first law.

The derivation of Wien's law using thermodynamics involves understanding the principles of thermodynamic equilibrium and the relationship between energy density and temperature in a black body.

Firstly, we must understand that a black body is a hypothetical object that absorbs all radiation incident upon it and emits radiation at all wavelengths. In thermodynamic equilibrium, the black body must radiate as much energy as it absorbs in order to maintain a constant temperature.

Using the equation provided, P=\frac{U^{*}}{3}, we can rewrite it as U^{*}=3P. This equation represents the energy density of the black body, where P is the power emitted per unit area.

Next, we can use the Stefan-Boltzmann law, which states that the power emitted per unit area by a black body is proportional to the fourth power of its temperature, to get P=\sigma T^4, where \sigma is the Stefan-Boltzmann constant.

Substituting this into our equation for energy density, we get U^{*}=3\sigma T^4.

Now, we can use the definition of peak wavelength, \lambda_{max}=\frac{b}{T} where b is a constant, to rewrite our equation as U^{*}=3\sigma b^4\lambda_{max}^{-4}.

Since we know that the energy density, U^{*}, is constant for a black body in thermodynamic equilibrium, we can set our two equations for U^{*} equal to each other and solve for \lambda_{max}.

This leads to the final result of \lambda_{max} T = constant, which is Wien's law.

In summary, the thermodynamic derivation of Wien's law involves understanding the principles of thermodynamic equilibrium, the Stefan-Boltzmann law, and the definition of peak wavelength. It shows that the peak wavelength of a black body's emission is inversely proportional to its temperature and is a result of maintaining thermodynamic equilibrium.

What is Wien's Law?

Wien's Law, also known as the Wien Displacement Law, is a thermodynamic law that describes the relationship between the wavelength of peak emission of a blackbody and its temperature. It states that the wavelength of maximum emission is inversely proportional to the temperature of the blackbody.

Who discovered Wien's Law?

Wien's Law was discovered by German physicist Wilhelm Wien in 1893. He received the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1911 for his work on the laws of heat radiation.

What is the thermodynamic derivation of Wien's Law?

The thermodynamic derivation of Wien's Law involves using the principles of thermodynamics and statistical mechanics to derive an expression for the energy density of a blackbody. This expression can then be used to find the wavelength of maximum emission, which is related to the temperature of the blackbody.

What are the assumptions made in the thermodynamic derivation of Wien's Law?

There are several assumptions made in the thermodynamic derivation of Wien's Law. These include: 1) The blackbody is in thermal equilibrium with its surroundings, 2) The blackbody is a perfect absorber and emitter of radiation, and 3) The blackbody is a closed system with no heat exchange with its surroundings.

What are the applications of Wien's Law?

Wien's Law has various applications in physics, astronomy, and engineering. It is used to determine the temperature of stars by analyzing their emitted radiation, as well as in the design of thermal radiation detectors and infrared cameras. It is also used in the development of energy-efficient lighting sources, such as incandescent light bulbs and LED lights.