Which Dice Is Best for Highest Mean Value?

• Thread starter Numeriprimi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dice
In summary: So you might say "Throwing a single six-sided die".In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of verisimilitude and how it relates to the use of dice in determining the largest mean value total. The formula for calculating the mean total value of a dice with n walls is given, and it is shown that as n increases, the mean total value also increases. The conclusion is that a dice with more walls, such as a 20-sided dice, will have the largest mean value total. The conversation also includes a clarification on the proper use of the word "dice".
Numeriprimi
Hey! :-) I have got question about verisimilitude.

I have got classic one dice. The dice can have 2-20 walls, where is numers from 1, 2, 3, ...20 (two-walls: only 1, 2; seven-walls: 1,2,3,...,7).

You can throw with dice. When you have got largest number on dice (two-walls: 2, seven-walls:7) you can throw again.

AND NOW - Which dice (how many walls) is the best for largest mean value totals throws?

Logical - you have got 2-walles= big verisimilitude you throw again but small numbers
- you have got 20-walles= very small verisimilitude you throw again but very big
numbers...

So... Have you got any idea and MATHEMATICAL PROOF for it?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Numeriprimi! :smile:

Suppose we start with a dice with 2 walls.
And let's call the mean total value E.

Then the chance is 1/2 that you get a 1, which would be the final total.

And there is another chance of 1/2 that you get 2, in which case you throw again.
After this you can expect the same mean total value E to follow.
So the actual total would become (2+E).

In other words:
$$E = \frac 1 2 \times 1 + \frac 1 2 \times (2 + E)$$

Solve for E and you get your mean total value...

I like Serena said:
Welcome to PF, Numeriprimi! :smile:

Suppose we start with a dice with 2 walls.
And let's call the mean total value E.

Then the chance is 1/2 that you get a 1, which would be the final total.

And there is another chance of 1/2 that you get 2, in which case you throw again.
After this you can expect the same mean total value E to follow.
So the actual total would become (2+E).

In other words:
$$E = \frac 1 2 \times 1 + \frac 1 2 \times (2 + E)$$

Solve for E and you get your mean total value...

There is some problems... I'm not sure to I understand you because maths is difficult and more difficult when is in English, which I only a few years learning :-)

So... If I understand...
This is verisimilitude about two-walls. Yes, there is quite big verisimilitude to throwing again, this I know. However, what others numbers? I still don't know which dice is best for the bigger mean value and why :-( I maybe badly wrote the example or I didn't understand you... So, can you explain me this problem again? Thank you very much.

Greetings from Czech Republic to PF :-)

Ah well, with an n-sided dice, your expectation is:
$$E=\frac 1 n \times 1 + \frac 1 n \times 2 + ... + \frac 1 n \times (n - 1) + \frac 1 n \times (n + E)$$
I am skipping a few steps in between, getting:
$$E = \frac n 2 + 1 + \frac E n$$
Which can be solved to the final formula:
$$E = (\frac n 2 + 1) \cdot \frac n {n-1}$$

So for instance for a 2-sided dice, you get ##E = (\frac 2 2 + 1) \cdot \frac 2 {2-1} = 4##.

In particular this expression becomes bigger for bigger n.
So you will have the biggest result for a 20-sided dice, which is ##E = (\frac {20} 2 + 1) \cdot \frac {20} {20-1} = \frac {220} {19} \approx 11.6##

Nearly, but the second equation should be
[tex]E = \frac{(n-1)}2+1+E[/tex]
which gives you
[tex]E = \frac{n(n+1)}{2(n-1)}[/tex]
But the conclusion is the same: The larger n gets, the larger E will be.

Ou, that looks good :-) I think I understand you. Thank both of you very much.

By the way- there is no such thing as one "dice". "Dice" is the plural of "die".

1. What is the definition of "mean value" in relation to dice?

The mean value, also known as the arithmetic mean, is the average of a set of numbers. In the context of dice, it refers to the average number that is rolled over a large number of trials.

2. How is the mean value calculated for a set of dice?

To calculate the mean value for a set of dice, add up all the possible outcomes and divide by the total number of outcomes. For example, if you have a six-sided die, the mean value would be (1+2+3+4+5+6)/6 = 3.5.

3. Are all dice equally likely to have the same mean value?

No, the mean value of a set of dice can vary depending on the number of sides and the distribution of numbers on each side. For example, a six-sided die will have a different mean value than a ten-sided die, even if both have an equal chance of rolling any number.

4. What is the best dice to use for the highest mean value?

The best dice for the highest mean value will depend on the specific context and desired outcome. Generally, dice with more sides have a higher mean value. However, other factors such as the distribution of numbers on each side and the number of dice being rolled should also be considered.

5. Is the mean value the only factor to consider when choosing a dice?

No, the mean value is not the only factor to consider when choosing a dice. Other factors such as probability, randomness, and fairness should also be taken into account. Additionally, the intended use of the dice, such as for gaming or statistical analysis, may also influence the choice of dice.