Linearization of Second Order Differential Equations

In summary, the individual is having trouble linearizing a second-order differential equation for a double pendulum and is seeking guidance on how to approach this task. They have been instructed to replace the original function with a linear function of all four variables, but are unsure where to begin due to the complexity of the original equation. Suggestions have been made to use the chain rule and Taylor polynomials to simplify the equation.
Ruby Tyra
I'm having some difficulties figuring out how to linearize second order differential equations for a double pendulum.

I have an equation that is in the form of

[itex]\theta_{1}''[/itex][itex]\normalsize = function[/itex] [[itex]\theta_{1}[/itex],[itex]\theta_{2}[/itex],[itex]\theta_{1}'[/itex],[itex]\theta_{2}'[/itex]]

(The original equation is found at http://www.myphysicslab.com/dbl_pendulum.html, the equations inside the orange rectangle.)

I was told to replace that function by a linear function of all four variables but I don't know where to start with that since the original equation is much more complex than the simple pendulum example we were given.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ruby Tyra said:
I'm having some difficulties figuring out how to linearize second order differential equations for a double pendulum.

I have an equation that is in the form of

[itex]\theta_{1}''[/itex][itex]\normalsize = function[/itex] [[itex]\theta_{1}[/itex],[itex]\theta_{2}[/itex],[itex]\theta_{1}'[/itex],[itex]\theta_{2}'[/itex]]

(The original equation is found at http://www.myphysicslab.com/dbl_pendulum.html, the equations inside the orange rectangle.)

I was told to replace that function by a linear function of all four variables but I don't know where to start with that since the original equation is much more complex than the simple pendulum example we were given.

Thank you!

If f = f(x,y,z,w) and you want to linearize, use the chain rule:

[tex]f(x,y,z,w) = f(x_0,y_0,z_0,w_0)+\frac{\partial{f}}{\partial{x}}(x-x_0)+\frac{\partial{f}}{\partial{y}}(y-y_0)+\frac{\partial{f}}{\partial{z}}(z-z_0)+\frac{\partial{f}}{\partial{w}}(w-w_0)[/tex]

where the partials are evaluated at [tex]x_0,y_0,z_0,w_0[/tex]

Note that what Chestermiller is saying is essentially the same as replacing the function by a Taylor polynomial in all variables, then dropping all but the linear terms. And that, in turn, is the same as replacing the "surface" by its "tangent plane".

1. What is the purpose of linearization of second order differential equations?

The purpose of linearization is to approximate a non-linear second order differential equation with a simpler linear equation. This allows for easier analysis and solution of the equation.

2. How is linearization of second order differential equations performed?

Linearization is typically achieved by using Taylor series expansion to approximate the non-linear equation with a linear one. This involves finding the first and second derivatives of the equation at a specific point.

3. What are the benefits of linearization of second order differential equations?

One major benefit is that linear equations are generally easier to solve and analyze compared to non-linear equations. Linearization also allows for the use of techniques such as eigenanalysis and Laplace transforms, which are not applicable to non-linear equations.

4. In what situations is linearization of second order differential equations useful?

Linearization is particularly useful in situations where the non-linear equation is too complex to solve directly. It is also commonly used in physics and engineering to simplify models and make them more manageable for analysis.

5. Are there any limitations to linearization of second order differential equations?

Yes, linearization is only valid for small changes around a specific point. If the non-linear equation has large variations, the linearized equation may not accurately represent the behavior of the system. Additionally, linearization can sometimes introduce errors in the solution.