Pleistocene Hyena Day: Visit Rotterdam Nature Museum

• Thread starter Andre
  • Start date
In summary, the day consisted of a variety of talks on different topics, including paleontology, cave paintings, and Siberian temperatures. Bas van Geel's talk was the most interesting, as he discussed the Siberian event and its effects on temperature.
Andre
During the Pleistocene ice ages Europe was mostly a steppe area with large herds of megafauna like aurochs, horses and mammoths. That attracted predators like cave lions, sabertooth cats and the most powerful biter of all, the extinct European or spotted cave hyena (Crocuta crocuta spelaea).

If you'd happen to be around Rotterdam 24th of March, it might be interesting to visit the Nature History Museum for a session dedicated to this animal, the https://dl.dropbox.com/u/22026080/hyenadag%20poster.pdf [Broken].

I intend tol be there to greet you and I'll be happy to report here about the day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Andre said:
I'll be happy to report here about the day.

Hmm It seems I have some promise to forfill. Sorry about the delay. Thanks for reminding

Anyway, it was a very good session. Although I'm not really deep into Paleontology, there were several amazing things in both Fosse's talks about Pleistocene predators, he showed impressive cave paintings that I had not seen before. Cave Hyenas also seemed to have hunted on cave lions, considering the big amount of lion bones with Hyena bite marks, but all found in caves, so it may well be that this is an artificiality of visiting the cave at the same time, where the animals were trapped. But it can also be scavaging.

Another very interesting thing was that cave lions were found high in caves in the French Alps up to 2500 meters height 8000 feet. Hyenas were not. So I thought if lions are there, there can't be a lot of ice. So I asked Fosse about dates of those cave lions. He had not done that research but he thought that all was beyond carbon dating except for one piece that was embedded in a speleothem, which could be dated to maybe 80-90KA BP with other techniques. But this would codate with the first Weichselian glaciation (fig 4). Although that was off the top of his head it definity warrants further investigation. Also interesting that cave lions never got to Northern Siberia.

The beach walk fossil hunt was interesting and we picked up the best area to find all kind of fauna remains. Interesting that the talker was a young student. There were several 'savant' kids around.

For me the talk of Bas van Geel was the main item. I had intense discussions with him about Siberian temperatures, before and after the event, as I drove him to the train station. He promised to introduce me to his academic friends to discuss my isotope work.

1. What is the Pleistocene era?

The Pleistocene era is a geological time period that lasted from about 2.6 million years ago to around 11,700 years ago. It is often referred to as the "Ice Age" due to the widespread glaciations that occurred during this time.

2. What is a hyena?

A hyena is a carnivorous mammal native to Africa and parts of Asia. They are known for their distinctive calls, scavenging behavior, and powerful jaws that can crush bones.

3. What is the significance of the Rotterdam Nature Museum?

The Rotterdam Nature Museum is a renowned museum that focuses on natural history and biodiversity. It is known for its extensive collection of fossils, including those from the Pleistocene era.

4. What can visitors expect to see at Pleistocene Hyena Day?

Visitors can expect to see a variety of exhibits showcasing the natural history and behavior of hyenas during the Pleistocene era. There may also be interactive activities, presentations, and opportunities to see real fossils up close.

5. Is this event suitable for children?

Yes, Pleistocene Hyena Day is a family-friendly event that can be enjoyed by all ages. Children can learn about the natural world and the fascinating creatures that lived during the Pleistocene era.