Potential energy of pendulum in terms of displacement.

by Nuclearturtle
Tags: displacement, energy, pendulum, potential, terms
Nuclearturtle
Mar28-13, 02:39 PM
P: 3
Hi guys, I'm having troubles finding how to write the potential energy of a 1D pendulum down. In terms of displacement however. This should be easy and it is, but my professor had this nice "clean" solution whereas mine is really dreadfull, any help? :)

edit: Ok nvm guys. I was thinking I went crazy for not finding it, since I almost have my physics license. But my professor used a Taylor approximation, nothing to worry about.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Better thermal-imaging lens from waste sulfur
Scientists observe quantum superconductor-metal transition and superconducting glass
New technique detects microscopic diabetes-related eye damage
Nuclearturtle
Mar28-13, 02:56 PM
By the way this is not homework, just a serious question to try to solve coupled harmonic oscillators :(
BruceW
Mar28-13, 07:29 PM
HW Helper
P: 3,337
hi, turtle :) welcome to physicsforums

Do you still have a question about pendulums? I agree Taylor approximation is the way to go. (That's why they say 'for small angles'). Also, do you mean 2D pendulum. And what's a physics license?!

Nuclearturtle
Mar29-13, 04:56 PM

Potential energy of pendulum in terms of displacement.

I meant a 1D pendulum in the sense that it only oscilates in one (!) direction. Of course this could represent a real 3D pendulum oscillating along just one axis.

Concerning the physics license, I didn't know how to sai it right, I meant physics degree or something like that. Lets just say I'm studying physics! This being the reason why I was so concerned not finding this "easy" solution :)

Thx for offering help anyway!

Register to reply