Sequence formula [itex]a_{n}[/itex]=((last term) - (n-1)(common diff))

In summary, the conversation discussed the topic of sequences and series and the use of the General Term of the Arithmetic Sequence formula. The speaker mentioned finding a video on YouTube that explained the formula and its variations. However, they noticed a mistake in the notation which caused some confusion. They asked for someone to fact check a specific portion of the video at a specific time stamp. The expert summarizer confirms that the mistake was made and suggests that the correct notation should be a_{n}-a_{n+1}=-d instead of a_{n}-a_{n-1}=-d.
Lebombo
Calc 2 will require some basic knowledge of sequences and series. Since this topic has never been covered in any of my past math classes, I am currently learning about sequences and series from scratch. On youtube, I found a video that contains an explanation of the General Term of the Arithmetic Sequence formula. It also contains another form which does not exist in my Algebra Textbook:

[itex]a_{n}[/itex] = ((last term) - (n-1)(common diff))

However, I think the person providing the youtube explanation makes a mistake in notation, which is causing me some confusion. If he has written this portion of his presentation correctly, then I will have to go back and review my confusion. So if anyone has a moment, could you fact check the portion of the derivation of this formula at exactly 9:16 - 9:23

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbuwvw91fFc&list=PL56BFE1A5A41BC8D6

To me it seems [tex]a_{n}- a_{n-1} [/tex] should equal d, not -d , so did he intend to write [tex]a_{n} - a_{n+1} = -d[/tex]

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes this is a mistake. I think he meant to have [itex] a_n-a_{n+1}=-d [/itex]

I watched the video but I didn't listen to it because I'm in class.

What is a sequence formula?

A sequence formula is a mathematical equation that can be used to determine the value of any term in a sequence. It is typically represented as [itex]a_{n}[/itex] where n represents the position of the term in the sequence.

How do you find the value of a specific term in a sequence using the sequence formula?

To find the value of a specific term in a sequence using the sequence formula, you first need to determine the position of the term (represented by n). Then, you can plug in the values for the last term and the common difference into the formula [itex]a_{n}[/itex]=((last term) - (n-1)(common diff)). This will give you the value of the term you are looking for.

What is the last term in a sequence?

The last term in a sequence is the final term in the sequence and is usually denoted as [itex]a_{n}[/itex]. This term is often used in the sequence formula to determine the value of other terms in the sequence.

What is the common difference in a sequence?

The common difference in a sequence is the constant value that is added or subtracted to each term in the sequence to get the next term. It is often denoted as d and is used in the sequence formula to calculate the value of a specific term in the sequence.

Can the sequence formula be used for all types of sequences?

While the sequence formula can be used for many different types of sequences (such as arithmetic, geometric, and Fibonacci), it may not work for all types of sequences. Some sequences may have more complex patterns that cannot be easily captured by a simple formula.