Where's the best place to buy chemicals?

• Thread starter skyshrimp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemicals
In summary, a hobbyist is interested in learning basic chemistry for fun home projects and wants to try the Chloride test using potassium chromate and silver nitrate, needing less than 50g of each compound. They are looking for advice on the cheapest place in the UK to purchase these chemicals and have found potassium chromate on eBay for £13.50. A fellow chemist recommends buying these chemicals online if possible.
skyshrimp
I'm just a hobbyist learning basic chemistry for fun home projects. The first thing I'd like to try out is the Chloride test which requires potassium chromate and silver nitrate. I'll only need less than 50g of each compound.

Where's the cheapest place in the UK to buy this stuff? 50g of potassium chromate is on ebay for £13.50 ($21) shipped. Is that a good price for 50g? I'm going to be building up a collection of chemicals over time so I thought I'd ask you guys for advice :smile:

Chemistry news on Phys.org
That's a good price for potassium chromate. If you can buy this stuff online legally, that would be my method of choice.

1. Where can I find a reliable source for purchasing chemicals?

There are several options for purchasing chemicals, including online retailers, local chemical supply companies, and university or government research labs. It is important to do research and read reviews to ensure the source is reputable and provides quality products.

2. Are there any regulations or restrictions on buying chemicals?

Yes, there are regulations in place to control the sale and use of chemicals. Depending on the type of chemical, there may be restrictions on who can purchase it and how much can be bought at one time. It is important to check with your local and national laws before purchasing chemicals.

3. Can I buy chemicals for personal use?

In most cases, it is not recommended to purchase chemicals for personal use. Many chemicals can be dangerous and should only be handled by trained professionals. Additionally, certain chemicals may require permits or licenses to purchase and use.

4. What should I look for when buying chemicals?

When purchasing chemicals, it is important to look for high-quality products from reputable sources. Check for proper labeling and packaging, expiration dates, and safety instructions. It is also a good idea to compare prices and read reviews before making a purchase.

5. Are there any alternatives to buying chemicals?

In some cases, there may be alternatives to purchasing chemicals, such as using natural or household ingredients. It is important to research and consider the potential risks and effectiveness of these alternatives before using them. Additionally, consulting a professional or reaching out to a chemical supplier for advice may also be helpful.