Understanding Magnets: How They Work and Their Importance in Flux Lines

In summary: Can't say I do. I'm an internet kind of guy for the most part. Most of what you want to know can be found on wikipedia or similar sites, honestly. If you want to actually learn the math and the in depth theory then you'll have to get a textbook or take some classes.
B4ssHunter
i am very confused by the idea of magnets
how do magnets attract things ? and if they do attract things , then what is the importance of flux lines ?
i mean , shouldn't magnets just align things to the flux lines in the direction of the north pole ?
i want to know how magnets work in principle , down to the electron level , so if there is any video , website , book or even a useful comment please share it with me * in layman high school terms please *

Physics news on Phys.org
You will need to understand the what electromagnetism is to fully understand how magnets work.Electromagnetism by itself is a very huge topic by the way but its one of the most interesting topics in physics ,so i would recommend you to first read about electromagnetism and then approach your question.

B4ssHunter said:
i am very confused by the idea of magnets
how do magnets attract things ? and if they do attract things , then what is the importance of flux lines ?
i mean , shouldn't magnets just align things to the flux lines in the direction of the north pole ?
i want to know how magnets work in principle , down to the electron level , so if there is any video , website , book or even a useful comment please share it with me * in layman high school terms please *

This is a long, long road. Here's a few articles to get you started.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_electromagnetic_theory
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetism

(It's okay if you don't understand some of it. Just keep reading and it will make more sense over time)

okay thanks a lot , also could you recommend me a book about electromagnetism , something that goes from scratch ?
also , it would be really REALLY helpful , if someone gives me an idea of electromagnetism , just a basic roundup about why do magnets attract magnetic bodies , i understand the idea of paired and unpaired electrons , so is it just electric attraction between unpaired electrons of the magnet and those of the attracted bodies ?

B4ssHunter said:
, i understand the idea of paired and unpaired electrons , so is it just electric attraction between unpaired electrons of the magnet and those of the attracted bodies ?

No, it is the result of the magnetic field of these electrons adding together. (At least in a permanent magnet. Electromagnets are different) This magnetic field comes from the fact that the electrons have intrinsic "spin". (Kind of like they are spinning around an axis, but not quite. It's a quantum mechanical effect with no classical analogue)

Drakkith said:
No, it is the result of the magnetic field of these electrons adding together. (At least in a permanent magnet. Electromagnets are different) This magnetic field comes from the fact that the electrons have intrinsic "spin". (Kind of like they are spinning around an axis, but not quite. It's a quantum mechanical effect with no classical analogue)

so do attracted objects like to be in the nearest flux line to the magnet ? that would explain the attraction right ?

B4ssHunter said:
so do attracted objects like to be in the nearest flux line to the magnet ? that would explain the attraction right ?

Flux lines (aka field lines) aren't real. They are representations of the magnetic field that make it easier to visualize.

From wiki:

A field line is a locus that is defined by a vector field and a starting location within the field. Field lines are useful for visualizing vector fields, which are otherwise hard to depict. Note that, like longitude and latitude lines on a globe, or topographic lines on a topographic map, these lines are not physical lines that are actually present at certain locations; they are merely visualization tools.

Drakkith said:
Flux lines (aka field lines) aren't real. They are representations of the magnetic field that make it easier to visualize.

From wiki:

A field line is a locus that is defined by a vector field and a starting location within the field. Field lines are useful for visualizing vector fields, which are otherwise hard to depict. Note that, like longitude and latitude lines on a globe, or topographic lines on a topographic map, these lines are not physical lines that are actually present at certain locations; they are merely visualization tools.
aha , would you still recommend any good book ?

B4ssHunter said:
aha , would you still recommend any good book ?

Can't say I do. I'm an internet kind of guy for the most part. Most of what you want to know can be found on wikipedia or similar sites, honestly. If you want to actually learn the math and the in depth theory then you'll have to get a textbook or take some classes.

1. What is a magnet?

A magnet is an object that produces a magnetic field, which is a force that can attract or repel certain materials such as iron, nickel, and cobalt.

2. How do magnets work?

Magnets work due to the alignment of the electrons in the atoms that make up the material. In a magnet, the electrons are aligned in the same direction, creating a magnetic field. This field causes the magnet to attract or repel other magnets or magnetic materials.

3. What are the two poles of a magnet?

The two poles of a magnet are the north pole and the south pole. These poles are opposite in nature and attract each other, while like poles repel each other.

4. What is the difference between a permanent magnet and an electromagnet?

A permanent magnet is made from a material that is naturally magnetic, such as iron or nickel. It retains its magnetic properties without the need for an external power source. An electromagnet, on the other hand, is created by running an electric current through a coil of wire, which produces a magnetic field. The strength of an electromagnet can be controlled by changing the amount of electric current flowing through the wire.

5. How are magnets used in everyday life?

Magnets have many practical applications, such as in motors and generators, speakers and headphones, credit cards and computer hard drives. Magnets are also used in medical equipment like MRI machines and in compasses for navigation.