Something that should be extremely simple - Blackbody Curve

In summary, the person is having trouble plotting the blackbody curve at 2000K in terms of the wavelength. They are using the "Planck Radiation Formula" from hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu and it is not looking like the correct exponential decay function. They are also using lambda for the x-axis. My guess is that they are mishandling the software and the peak is squished too close to the Y-axis for them to see.
Xyius
Hello!

I am having an issue with something that should be extremely simple. Essentially, all I am trying to do is plot the blackbody curve at 2000K in terms of the wavelength. The formula I am using can be seen here.. (Don't feel like typing it)

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mod6.html

In the "Planck Radiation Formula" section, second box. Every time I try to plot it, it ends up looking like a normal exponential decay function, except symmetrical about the y axis, NOT the blackbody curve. I got the TA in my grad lab to help and he is also stumped. After calculating the numbers, I got the formula to be..

[tex]\frac{5 \times 10^{-24}}{\lambda^5}\frac{1}{e^{\frac{0.144}{2000 \lambda}}-1}[/tex]

Can anyone shed light on this?

Physics news on Phys.org
so you used the c = lambda * v equation right, solved for v = c / lambda and plugged it into get your equation in lambda

first how did you get lambda^5 in the first factor it seems it should be lambda^3

and second did you plot using lambda or v for the x-axis?

jedishrfu said:
so you used the c = lambda * v equation right, solved for v = c / lambda and plugged it into get your equation in lambda

first how did you get lambda^5 in the first factor it seems it should be lambda^3

and second did you plot using lambda or v for the x-axis?

I used the equation labeled [itex]S_{\lambda}[/itex], it has a [itex]\lambda^5[/itex] term in it. I am using [itex]\lambda[/itex]for the x axis.

Okay this seriously is not making any sense. I keep trying to plot this thing, thinking I made some sort of error with units or something and I keep getting the same thing. What is going on?!

The equation is correct. You are probably mishandling the software. My guess is that the peak is squished too close to the Y-axis for you to see given the choice of coordinate scale. Play around with the axis scales and see what happens is my advice.

I keep scaling the axis and am not seeing anything I should be. Could someone else try plotting it and let me know how it works out?

Looks OK when I plot it. See attachment. You must be doing the plotting wrong.

Attachments

• BB.png
    BB.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 413
You are probably messing up typing the expression into the computer or calculator. Check your parentheses and your range of values for lambda. If you are using something like Matlab, Mathematica, or IDL, it should be pretty simple. If you still can't figure it out, post the code.

What is a blackbody curve?

A blackbody curve is a graphical representation of the amount of radiation emitted by an object at different wavelengths. It is based on the principle that all objects with a temperature above absolute zero emit thermal radiation.

What is the shape of a blackbody curve?

The shape of a blackbody curve is a smooth, continuous curve that starts at zero intensity at long wavelengths, reaches a peak intensity at a specific wavelength, and then decreases again at shorter wavelengths.

What determines the peak wavelength of a blackbody curve?

The peak wavelength of a blackbody curve is determined by the temperature of the object. The higher the temperature, the shorter the peak wavelength will be.

Why is the blackbody curve important?

The blackbody curve is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of thermal radiation emitted by objects, which has practical applications in fields such as astronomy, climate science, and materials science.

Is the blackbody curve a perfect representation of real objects?

No, the blackbody curve is a theoretical concept and does not perfectly represent real objects. Real objects may deviate from the blackbody curve due to factors such as surface properties, shape, and composition.