Multivariable Calculus Help

In summary, given the curve C defined by x=t^2-4, y=t^3+1, z=5te^(t^3+1), the equation for the normal plane to C at P(-3,0,-5) is -2x+3y-10z=56.
crazy4cheezeits
I can't figure out how to do this problem. Any help would be appreciated.
Given that the curve C is defined by x=t^2-4, y=t^3+1,z=5te^(t^3+1), write an equation (in rectangular form and with integral coefficients and constants) for the normal plane to C at P (-3,0,-5).
Edit: Here's what I've done. I have no idea how much is right though. The point exists where t=-1.
x'=2t, y'=3t^2, z'=5e^(t^3+1)+15t^3e^(t^3+1)
x=2*-1=-2, y=3*(-1)^2=3, z=-10
-2x+3y-10z= -2*-3 + 3*0 + -10*-5
-2x+3y-10z=56
Anyone know if this is correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, your answer is correct. The equation for the normal plane to C at P(-3,0,-5) is -2x+3y-10z=56.

What is Multivariable Calculus?

Multivariable Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with functions of several variables. It extends the concepts and techniques of single-variable calculus to higher dimensions, allowing for the analysis of relationships between multiple variables.

Why is Multivariable Calculus important?

Multivariable Calculus is important for various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. It provides a powerful tool for understanding and solving real-world problems that involve multiple variables. It also serves as a foundation for advanced calculus-based courses.

What are some applications of Multivariable Calculus?

Multivariable Calculus has numerous applications in diverse fields, such as optimization, mechanics, electromagnetism, fluid dynamics, and economics. It helps in understanding and analyzing complex systems, making predictions, and solving optimization problems.

What are some key topics in Multivariable Calculus?

Some key topics in Multivariable Calculus include partial derivatives, multiple integrals, vector calculus, and optimization. Other important concepts include gradients, directional derivatives, and the chain rule for multiple variables.

How can I improve my understanding of Multivariable Calculus?

Practice is key to improving your understanding of Multivariable Calculus. Work through various examples and problems, and seek help from your professor or peers if you are stuck. Utilize online resources such as videos, tutorials, and practice problems to supplement your learning. Also, make sure you have a solid understanding of single-variable calculus before diving into Multivariable Calculus.