Fixing a Broken Laptop Power Inlet

In summary, because of a broken ground pin on the laptop's power inlet, the laptop may not be able to be operated properly. It is possible to send the laptop back to Acer for repair, but it is easier and more cost-effective to just do it yourself.
exequor
my laptop fell on its power inlet with the charger plug in it and I think that something might have been broken. whatever is supposed to be at the back of the inlet, or at the end of the charger is what i think broke. My assumption is that it is the ground pin. how should I go about fixing this, I could return it since it is under warranty but I don't know how long acer would take to get my laptop back to me—my assumption is that it would be a long time. how should i go about fixing this?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Is it broken or bent?

Do you have any experience with a soldering iron? if No, then just send it back to them and have it repaired, you'll be better off in the long run.

dduardo said:
Is it broken or bent?
It is broken. And I don't have the part that broke off.

The_Professional said:
Do you have any experience with a soldering iron? if No, then just send it back to them and have it repaired, you'll be better off in the long run.
Yea, I'm used to soldering, but since i don't have the part that broke off, what can I substitute? Plus I'm not too sure where it has to be soldered back.

Laptop circuit boards tend to be pretty tight with not a lot of room between component solder points. Unless you have really really stead hands and a really really fine tip on your soldering iron, you stand a good chance of soldering together bits that shouldn't be soldered together. Then you'd really be up the creek without a paddle. Easiest thing to do is send it back

imabug said:
Laptop circuit boards tend to be pretty tight with not a lot of room between component solder points. Unless you have really really stead hands and a really really fine tip on your soldering iron, you stand a good chance of soldering together bits that shouldn't be soldered together. Then you'd really be up the creek without a paddle. Easiest thing to do is send it back
I should send it back, but I really cannot do without my laptop for the period of time which I assume it would be gone away.

1. How do I know if my laptop power inlet is broken?

There are a few signs that may indicate a broken laptop power inlet. The most common is if your laptop is not charging when plugged in. You may also notice a loose connection or a burning smell near the power inlet. If you suspect your power inlet is broken, it is best to have it checked by a professional.

2. Can I fix a broken laptop power inlet myself?

While it is possible to fix a broken laptop power inlet yourself, it is not recommended. Laptop power inlets are delicate and require specific tools and knowledge to repair. Attempting to fix it yourself may cause further damage to your laptop. It is best to seek the help of a professional technician.

3. How much does it cost to fix a broken laptop power inlet?

The cost of fixing a broken laptop power inlet can vary depending on the extent of the damage and the specific model of your laptop. On average, it can cost anywhere from $50 to $200 for a professional repair. However, this cost may be higher if additional parts need to be replaced.

4. Is it better to replace or repair a broken laptop power inlet?

In most cases, it is more cost-effective to repair a broken laptop power inlet rather than replacing it. However, if the damage is extensive or if your laptop is older, it may be more practical to replace the entire laptop. This decision should be based on the advice of a professional technician.

5. How can I prevent my laptop power inlet from breaking?

To prevent your laptop power inlet from breaking, it is important to handle it with care. Avoid pulling or tugging on the power cord, and always unplug it gently. Additionally, make sure to keep the power inlet clean and free of dust and debris. If you notice any issues with your power inlet, have it checked by a professional before it becomes a larger problem.