Solving Multiple Integrals: Hints for Proving Identity

In summary, the conversation discusses using the product rule to solve an integral problem involving scalar functions over an elementary region in space with a closed surface boundary. The identity \nabla \cdot (f \vec A) = \vec A \cdot \nabla f + f \nabla \cdot \vec A is suggested as a helpful tool, and the use of the divergence theorem is deemed necessary. The conversation ends with the acknowledgement that the divergence theorem is the only connection between surface and volume integrals.
Benny
Hi, I posted a question some time ago and the suggestion was to use some form of the product rule but I still can't figure out what to do.

Q. Let f(x,y,z) and g(x,y,z) be C^2 scalar functions. Let D be an elementary region in space and [tex]\partial D[/tex] be the closed surface that bounds D. Prove that

[tex]\int\limits_{}^{} {\int\limits_{}^{} {\int\limits_D^{} {\nabla f \bullet \nabla g} dV = \int\limits_{}^{} {\int\limits_{\partial D}^{} {f\nabla g \bullet dS} - \int\limits_{}^{} {\int\limits_{}^{} {\int\limits_D^{} {f\nabla ^2 gdV} } } } } } [/tex]

Can someone give me a hint as to where to start, like any relevant identies which could be of use? Any help is appreciated thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The following identity should help:

[tex]\nabla \cdot (f \vec A) = \vec A \cdot \nabla f + f \nabla \cdot \vec A[/tex]

Which is just one of the 3D versions of the product rule. (You can substitute [itex]
\nabla g[/itex] into this formula)

Thanks for the help, I'll try to finish this one off.

Edit: Hmm...I could've sworn that your post made mention of the divergence theorem before...nevermind, I'll keep that in mind.;)

Last edited:
Yea, sorry about that. I had originally told you how to do the problem step by step, but I realized that's not what this forum is for, so I changed it. But yes, the divergence theorem is necessary.

Oh ok, it doesn't really matter too much now. The divergence theorem is the only connection I know of between surface and volume integrals so I probably would've used it eventually anyway.

1. What is a multiple integral?

A multiple integral is an integral with more than one variable, where the integration is performed over a region in multiple dimensions.

2. Why is proving identity important in solving multiple integrals?

Proving identity is important in solving multiple integrals because it allows us to simplify the integrand and make the integration process easier.

3. What are some hints for proving identity in multiple integrals?

Some hints for proving identity in multiple integrals include using symmetry properties, manipulating the integrand, and using known mathematical identities such as trigonometric identities.

4. How can I check if my solution to a multiple integral identity is correct?

You can check your solution by plugging it back into the original integral and seeing if it simplifies to the original integrand. You can also use a graphing calculator to graph both the original integrand and your solution to see if they are equivalent.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving multiple integral identities?

Yes, some common mistakes to avoid include forgetting to change the limits of integration, forgetting to apply the chain rule when manipulating the integrand, and making algebraic errors when simplifying the integrand.