Is the Mass of Earth Determined by Henry Cavendish's Method?

• Thread starter Mr.Socrates
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Earth Mass
In summary: The reasoning behind it is really quite simple: assume the mass of a human being is the least amount of mass possible, and then assume the mass of the Earth is double that amount. This would mean that the total mass of all the humans on Earth would be less than the mass of the Earth, which is obviously not the case.Mass of Earth is 6 x 10^24. There are about 6.6 billion humans with an average mass of about 75 kg. This totals up to about 5 x 10^11 kg. To find the percentage of the Earth's mass that is made up of humans, just divide the total human mass by the Earth's mass and multiply by 100. It's virtually zero.
Mr.Socrates
All Of Us Know Most Of The Constants In Physics Have A Constant Mass Of Earth Used...

Is It True That Mass Of Earth The Same Or Approximately The Same ...

My Prediction Is It Will Be Twice The Mass Calculated And All The Nearby Quantities Will Be 1/2 The Orginal Value...

The Reason Y I Say This Very Simple ... Assume The Mass Of Earth Is X Billion Kilos... The No Of Humans In Earth Be X Billion... Let The Mass Of A Human Be The Least 1 Kg Then The Mass Of Earth Is = Mass Of Earth + Mass Of Human Beings.

If U Start To Reply As Approximation ... The Word Approximately Means It Should Be Any Were Near By...
Not The Difference This Big...

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
So some how, as I gain weight, that weight was not part of the Earth's mass before I gained it... Tell me where did it come from? Mars? The Moon?

The mass of the inhabitants of the Earth do not change the mass of the earth. All of the matter which is incorporated into your body as you grow was part of, and always will be part of the Earth's mass. Unless of course you die in deep space.

A couple of misconceptions.

As Integral mentioned, any mass in the human body came from the planet Earth, so there is no net change due to the number of humans.

The mass of the Earth is 6 x 10^24. There are about 6.6 billion humans with an average mass of about 75 kg. This totals up to about 5 x 10^11 kg. To find the percentage of the Earth's mass that is made up of humans, just divide the total human mass by the Earth's mass and multiply by 100. It's virtually zero.

BobG said:
To find the percentage of the Earth's mass that is made up of humans, just divide the total human mass by the Earth's mass and multiply by 100. It's virtually zero.
I think we're overpopulating.

Anybody ever drive through Oklahoma? Or the midwest? EMPTY, GOOD land. NO BODY there.

Although it makes you wonder...is the total mass of the Earth increasing or decreasing (since the planet absorbs energy from the sun and reradiates some into space). I wonder what the net loss/gain is?

Mr.Socrates said:
All Of Us Know Most Of The Constants In Physics Have A Constant Mass Of Earth Used...
Is It True That Mass Of Earth The Same Or Approximately The Same ...
My Prediction Is It Will Be Twice The Mass Calculated And All The Nearby Quantities Will Be 1/2 The Orginal Value...
The Reason Y I Say This Very Simple ... Assume The Mass Of Earth Is X Billion Kilos... The No Of Humans In Earth Be X Billion... Let The Mass Of A Human Be The Least 1 Kg Then The Mass Of Earth Is = Mass Of Earth + Mass Of Human Beings.
If U Start To Reply As Approximation ... The Word Approximately Means It Should Be Any Were Near By...
Not The Difference This Big...

Mass of Earth is X billion kilos, sure, if "X" = 6,000,000,000,000,000.

BobG said:
A couple of misconceptions.
As Integral mentioned, any mass in the human body came from the planet Earth, so there is no net change due to the number of humans.
The mass of the Earth is 6 x 10^24. There are about 6.6 billion humans with an average mass of about 75 kg. This totals up to about 5 x 10^11 kg. To find the percentage of the Earth's mass that is made up of humans, just divide the total human mass by the Earth's mass and multiply by 100. It's virtually zero.
To put it in even more perspective:
Even if you imagined that the whole Earth, oceans included, was covered with people at a population density equal to that of Tokyo, the total mass of humanity would still only be about [itex]2x10^{16}[/itex] kg. Compare that to the mass of the Earth, [itex]6x10^{24}[/itex] kg ,and the mass of the people would still only be 0.000000328% that of the Earth.

The following conclusion seems warranted:
The Earth is big, really, really
BIG!

arildno said:
The following conclusion seems warranted:
The Earth is big, really, really
BIG!

I've seen bigger... :tongue:

I have just read the extremely interesting story of how the mass of the Earth was first determined in 1798 by Henry Cavendish, and I must say I am extremely impressed. It would not have occurred to me to figure it out this way, or any way, in a thousand years.

1. What is the mass of the Earth?

The mass of the Earth is approximately 5.97 x 10^24 kilograms. This value is constantly being refined through ongoing research and measurements.

2. How was the mass of the Earth determined?

The mass of the Earth was determined using a combination of mathematical calculations and scientific experiments. One method involves measuring the gravitational pull of the Earth on objects near its surface, such as satellites. Another method is to study the Earth's orbit and its interactions with other celestial bodies.

3. Why is it important to know the mass of the Earth?

Knowing the mass of the Earth is crucial for understanding its gravitational pull and its impact on objects in our solar system. It also helps us understand the Earth's composition, structure, and evolution. Furthermore, the mass of the Earth is used in a variety of scientific calculations and equations.

4. Has the mass of the Earth changed over time?

While the mass of the Earth may fluctuate slightly due to factors such as meteorite impacts and changes in the Earth's atmosphere, overall it remains relatively constant. However, scientists believe that the Earth may have gained mass through the accumulation of space debris and meteoroids over millions of years.

5. How does the mass of the Earth compare to other planets?

The Earth is the third most massive planet in our solar system, with only Jupiter and Saturn having greater masses. Compared to other rocky planets like Mercury, Venus, and Mars, the Earth has a significantly larger mass due to its larger size and greater density.