Finding a Quantum Physics Textbook: What to Look For

In summary, a good quantum physics textbook will cover the basics of quantum mechanics, introduce the theory of fields, and have a lot of problems to solve.
professor
anyone know of a good quantum physics textbook?

Physics news on Phys.org
At what level?

For the beginning level, I personally love the Shankar as it's extremely pedantic and good at hitting common misconception before they can arise.

For more advanced stuff, you probably need a combination of the Sakurai Modern Quantum Mechanics or the Baym. Both are extremely good, but the Baym is currently out of print.

Avoid any of the "traditional" introductions since they don't really teach you the physics but are either moderate equation sheets or downright bad works.

If you're interested in a different perspective entirely, check out Julian Schwinger's book.

Griffith's Quantum Mechanics is considered a cornerstone of undergraduate physics curricula and although it's not the best, it's still pretty good.

Gasiorowicz is a very handy reference book for quantum mechanics but not really good to learn quantum from.

I agree with abszero in recommending Shankar and Baym...Georgia Tech uses Shankar for their graduate level courses but that's the book I did my primary learning from in my undergraduate experience.

David Bohm's book is also pretty good...it's not really a textbook so to speak but it provides a lot of theory...I found it valuable...and it's a Dover book so it's pretty inexpensive as well.

Don't miss the Feynman course !

This is for Arildno: My guess the best graduate book for QM is Gallindo & Pascual's "Quantum Mechanics". If you think it's still not enough, then the 4 volumes of Reed and Simon should do it.

And a peek through Prugoveçki's "Quantum Mechanics in Hilbert space" or Jauch's "Foundations of Quantum Mechanics" wouldn't hurt.

Daniel.

You should look for quantum field theory ,it is very interesting

For introductory Quantum Field Theory: Bjorgen & Drell or Schroeder & Peskin.

dextercioby said:
This is for Arildno: My guess the best graduate book for QM is Gallindo & Pascual's "Quantum Mechanics". If you think it's still not enough, then the 4 volumes of Reed and Simon should do it.
And a peek through Prugoveçki's "Quantum Mechanics in Hilbert space" or Jauch's "Foundations of Quantum Mechanics" wouldn't hurt.
Daniel.
Thanks a bundle! :smile:

The study QM without solving the problems is unfruitful way. Moreover, the more problems you solve, the more Quantum Mechanics you understand. Many QM textbooks have the problems, but often without solutions. There is some exception (e.g. QM by Landau-Lif****z).
So the books like Practical Quantum Mechanics by S. Flugge are indispensable sources. (It has ~250 problems with most detail and pedantic (!) solutions.)
If you consider QED, the best test book with hundreds solved problems is QED by Berestetski, Lif****z, Pitaevski.

Have you got user and pass to open lib.home.linux :D please Share

1. What is quantum physics and why is it important?

Quantum physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It is important because it helps us understand the fundamental laws that govern the universe and has led to many technological advancements.

2. What should I look for in a quantum physics textbook?

When looking for a quantum physics textbook, you should consider the author's credentials, the level of difficulty, the comprehensiveness of the material, and the inclusion of relevant examples and exercises. You should also make sure it covers the specific topics you are interested in.

3. Is it necessary to have a strong background in math to understand quantum physics?

Yes, a strong background in math, particularly in calculus and linear algebra, is necessary to understand quantum physics. Many concepts in quantum physics are described using mathematical equations, so having a good understanding of math is essential.

4. Are there any specific textbooks that are highly recommended for learning quantum physics?

There are many textbooks available for learning quantum physics, and the best one for you will depend on your level of understanding and specific interests. Some popular textbooks include "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths and "Quantum Physics: A Beginner's Guide" by Alastair I.M. Rae.

5. Are there any online resources that can supplement a quantum physics textbook?

Yes, there are many online resources that can supplement a quantum physics textbook, such as video lectures, interactive simulations, and practice problems. Some recommended websites include MIT OpenCourseWare, Khan Academy, and Physics Classroom.