Trouble with Deriving Moment of Inertia for a Spherical Ball

In summary, the question is about deriving the expression for the moment of inertia of a spherical ball of mass m and radius r about the axis z through its centre of gravity. The correct answer is I_G = 2/5 * mr^2, but the conversation reveals that the incorrect answer of I_G = 3/5 * mr^2 was also obtained. This was due to not considering the square of the distance from the axis of rotation and the polar angle in the integral. The definition of moment of inertia also includes considering a perpendicular distance. With more practice, it will become easier to solve these types of problems.
Benny
I am having trouble with the following question.

Q. Derive the expression for the moment of inertia of a spherical ball of mass m and radius r about the axis z through its centre of gravity.

Ans: [itex]I_G = \frac{2}{5}mr^2 [/itex].

I did the following.

[tex]I_G = \int\limits_m^{} {r^2 } dm[/tex]

[tex]dm = \rho dV[/tex] where rho is the constant density.

[tex]
V = \frac{4}{3}\pi r^3 \Rightarrow dV = 4\pi r^2 dr
[/tex]

[tex]
I_G = 4\pi \rho \int\limits_0^r {r^4 dr} = \frac{{4\pi r^5 \rho }}{5} = \frac{3}{5}\left( {\frac{4}{3}\pi r^3 \rho } \right)r^2 = \frac{3}{5}mr^2 \ne \frac{2}{5}mr^2
[/tex]

I can get the answer using a triple integral but the question seems to only require a single integral. At the moment I can't see where I've gone wrong. Can someone help me out? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
To calculate the moment of inertia you need to integrate over the square of the distance from the axis of rotation which is [itex]r^2 \sin^2 \theta[/itex] and not just [itex]r^2[/itex]. This also requires you to integrate over the polar angle.

Oh ok. I just looked up the definition on mathworld and it appears to say that a perpendicular distance needs to be considered. Hopefully these will become more easy to do as I get more practice. Thanks for the help.

What is the formula for the moment of inertia of a sphere?

The formula for the moment of inertia of a sphere is I = 2/5 * mr^2, where m is the mass of the sphere and r is the radius.

How is the moment of inertia of a sphere different from other shapes?

The moment of inertia of a sphere is different from other shapes because it is a three-dimensional object and therefore has mass distributed evenly in all directions, resulting in a simpler formula for its moment of inertia.

How does the moment of inertia of a sphere affect its rotational motion?

The moment of inertia of a sphere plays a crucial role in determining its rotational motion. Objects with a larger moment of inertia require more torque to achieve the same angular acceleration as objects with a smaller moment of inertia.

Can the moment of inertia of a sphere be changed?

Yes, the moment of inertia of a sphere can be changed by altering either the mass or the radius of the sphere. Increasing the mass or radius will result in a larger moment of inertia, while decreasing them will result in a smaller moment of inertia.

What are some real-life examples of moment of inertia of a sphere?

Some real-life examples of moment of inertia of a sphere include a spinning basketball, a rotating planet, and a rolling ball. These objects exhibit different levels of moment of inertia due to their varying masses and radii.