Proving the Divisibility of 5^n by 4

In summary, to prove that 5^n is divisible by 4, we can use a proof by induction. By assuming that 5^k - 1 = 4x, we can manipulate the expression 5^(k+1) - 1 and eventually substitute in 4x to show that the left hand side is divisible by 4, thus proving the statement for n = k + 1. This approach avoids the mistake of using x to represent two different values.
cscott
Show that 5^n is divisible by 4 (ie. prove [itex]5^n = 4x[/itex])

The case for n = 1 works

For n = k + 1

[tex]5^{k+1} - 1 = 4x[/tex]
[tex]5^k \cdot 5 - 1 = 4x[/tex]

Then I can only see doing:
[tex]5(5^k - 1 + 1) - 1 = 4x[/tex]
and substituting in the case for n = k
[tex]5(4x + 1) - 1 = 4x[/tex]

But it doesn't work out...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Of course it doesn't work out, you've used x to mean two different things.

Assume that there exists an x such that 5^k - 1 = 4x.

You then wish to FIND an y such that 5^(k + 1) - 1 = 4y (or at least prove that such a y exists).

It's not necessarily the case that x = y.

cscott said:
[tex]5^{k+1} - 1 = 4x[/tex]
and substituting in the case for n = k
[tex]5(4x + 1) - 1 = 4x[/tex]

On one hand you're saying [tex]5^{k+1}-1=4x[/tex], then you're substituting [tex]5^{k}-1=4x[/tex]? Both these statements are true for any natural number k, but for different values of [tex]x[/tex] in each.

Suggestion-don't start with what you're trying to prove, just begin with [tex]5^{k+1}-1[/tex] and manipulate it until you get something divisible by 4.

I can only manipulate it so far... if I eventually substitute the 4x in I will end up with 20x + 4 (LHS) which is divisible by 4. Is this correct?

If the RHS was 4y instead I'd end up with 5x + 1 = y

If I'm wrong, how do I get past [itex]5^k \cdot 5 - 1[/itex]

Last edited:
cscott said:
I can only manipulate it so far... if I eventually substitute the 4x in I will end up with 20x + 4 (LHS) which is divisible by 4. Is this correct?

Exactly, that's all there is to it.

Thanks a lot!

1. What does it mean for a number to be divisible by 4?

A number is divisible by 4 if it can be divided by 4 with no remainder. In other words, the result of the division is a whole number.

2. How can you prove that 5^n is divisible by 4?

One way to prove this is by using mathematical induction. We can show that for n = 1, 5^n = 5 which is divisible by 4. Then, assuming that 5^k is divisible by 4, we can show that 5^(k+1) is also divisible by 4. This proves that 5^n is divisible by 4 for all positive integer values of n.

3. Can you explain the concept of mathematical induction?

Mathematical induction is a method of mathematical proof where we prove that a statement holds for all positive integer values of n by first showing that it holds for n = 1, and then showing that if it holds for n = k, it also holds for n = k+1. This process can be repeated indefinitely, proving the statement for all positive integer values of n.

4. Is there another way to prove that 5^n is divisible by 4?

Yes, another way to prove this is by using the fundamental theorem of arithmetic. This theorem states that every positive integer can be expressed as a unique product of prime numbers. Since 5^n can only be expressed as a product of 5's, and 4 is a prime factor of 5, it follows that 5^n is divisible by 4.

5. Can this statement be generalized to other numbers and exponents?

Yes, this statement can be generalized to any number raised to any positive integer exponent. For example, we can prove that 7^n is divisible by 6, or 9^n is divisible by 8, using similar methods of mathematical induction and the fundamental theorem of arithmetic.