Exploring Fascinating Physics Research Topics for High School Graduation Project

In summary, the high school senior is looking for a research topic for a graduation project. He has considered relativity and string theory, but he is not sure if either of those are the right topic. He has also considered astrophysics, which he learned about from a webby. He is looking for ideas for a research project that he can do.
z-component
Hi,

For my school district, all high school seniors are required to complete a graduation project in order to receive a diploma. We're supposed to pick a class we enjoy and work together with the teacher of that class, who acts as a mentor, in coming up with a presentable project to a class. I chose physics, but I don't yet have a topic. I originally wanted to build something but, long story short, that didn't work out. Now I'm resorting to a research project, Powerpoint, oration combination on an interesting topic in physics. I'm here to ask about some concepts that would be interesting to research (of course, "interesting" is a relative term but anything you think I would like would suffice). I thought about relativity and string theory, but the latter may be a bit too much for what I like to call a mini-research paper. Any ideas are encouraged!

Physics news on Phys.org
In astrophysics there is a lot of research into tests of the equivalence principle. http://www.sstd.rl.ac.uk/fundphys/step/ [Broken] there's a fair bit of information there. NASA have their own webby which i can't find (much embarrassment). Anyway not particularly interesting but certainly enough material for and oration and powerpoint presentation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've done this before once on here to someone asking for a research topic, and I've also help a high school student come up with appropriate references for this particular topic, so I know it can be done.

Try doing a research work on the "violation" of Einstein's photoelectric effect model. One of the consequences of this model is that if the photon energy is smaller than the work function of the metal, then no photoelectron can be emitted.

Yet, there are two separate cases where this is violated. What you can do is find both cases, explain the mechanism/physics for both of them, and show various experimental reports to support your explanations.

Zz.

Thanks eveyone! :)

good work you are doing great job

there is this anime cartoon its called ghost hunt if you watch it I'm pretty sure youll like it and youll find lots of interesting topics so please watch it i hope it will help

What are some examples of fascinating physics research topics for a high school graduation project?

Some examples of fascinating physics research topics for a high school graduation project include: studying quantum mechanics, investigating the properties of black holes, exploring the concept of time travel, researching the possibilities of extraterrestrial life, and analyzing the impact of climate change on the Earth's atmosphere.

How can I conduct research for my physics project?

You can conduct research for your physics project by utilizing scientific databases, reading books and articles on your chosen topic, conducting experiments, and seeking guidance from a physics teacher or mentor. Additionally, attending science conferences or workshops can provide valuable information and insights for your research.

What are some methods for effectively presenting my physics project?

Some methods for effectively presenting your physics project include creating a visually appealing and organized presentation, practicing your delivery and timing, incorporating multimedia elements such as videos or animations, and explaining complex concepts in a clear and concise manner.

How can I make my physics project stand out?

To make your physics project stand out, you can choose a unique and original topic, conduct thorough and innovative research, use creative and engaging visuals, and clearly explain the significance and implications of your findings. You can also consider collaborating with other students or seeking feedback from experts in the field.

What are some potential career paths in physics?

Some potential career paths in physics include research and development in industries such as aerospace, energy, and technology, teaching at the high school or college level, working for government agencies such as NASA or the Department of Energy, and pursuing advanced degrees in fields such as astrophysics, quantum physics, or engineering.