Seperation of variables

In summary, the person is trying to apply separation of variables to a problem with partial differential equations, but is unsure of how to proceed. They read on various websites that they can set each independent term equal to a separation constant, and then solve for the separation constants. However, once x changes while t is held constant, they get a new solution that depends on both x and t.
FrogPad
This is the the first time I've encountered separation with partial differential equations. There are no worked examples, so I need some help to work through this problem. The question seems to be somewhat hand holding, since it seems to be THE introduction.

Q: Apply separation of variables [itex] u_t = u_x [/itex] by substituting [itex] u=A(x)B(t) [/itex] and then dividing by AB. If one side depends only on [itex] t [/itex] and the other only on [itex] x [/itex], they must equal a constant [itex] k [/itex]; what are [itex] A [/itex] and [itex] B [/itex]?

[tex] \frac{\partial u}{\partial t}-\frac{\partial u}{\partial x} = 0 [/tex]

[tex] u = A(x)B(t) [/tex]

[tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial t} \left[ A(x)B(t) \right] - \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \left[ A(x)B(t) \right] = 0 [/tex]

[tex] A(x)B'(t)-A'(x)B(t)=0[/tex]

[tex] \frac{A(x)B'(t)-A'(x)B(t)}{A(x)B(t)} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{B'(t)}{B(t)}-\frac{A'(x)}{A(x)}=0[/tex]

Now I was reading on various websites, that I can set each independent term equal to separation constants to make two coupled (is this the proper word to use?) differential equations. I don't understand where this step comes from.

but...

[tex] \frac{B'(t)}{B(t)}=k[/tex]

[tex] \frac{A'(x)}{A(x)}=k[/tex]Now solving for [itex] A(x) [/itex] and [itex] B(t) [/itex]. I'm a little rusty here, so I don't know if this part is correct.

Rewriting the two equations above in Leibniz notation

[tex] \frac{dB(t)}{dt} \cdot \frac{1}{B(t)} = k [/tex]

Seperating:

[tex] \frac{dB(t)}{B(t)} = k dt [/tex]

[tex] \int \frac{dB(t)}{B(t)} = \int k\,\,dt [/tex]

[tex] \ln B(t) = kt +c [/tex]

[tex] B(t) = e^{kt+c} [/tex]

And subsequently:

[tex] A(x) = e^{kx+c} [/tex]

Does this make sense? :)
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The part where I said I wasn't unsure. Is this line of reasoning correct?

[tex]\frac{B'(t)}{B(t)}-\frac{A'(x)}{A(x)}=0[/tex]

Since the "A term" is equal to the "B term" for some value of x,t we can separate them as a system of equations. Thus, allowing the ODE to be solved with separation of variables.

Last edited:
FrogPad said:
The part where I said I wasn't unsure. Is this line of reasoning correct?

[tex]\frac{B'(t)}{B(t)}-\frac{A'(x)}{A(x)}=0[/tex]

Since the "A term" is equal to the "B term" for some value of x,t we can separate them as a system of equations. Thus, allowing the ODE to be solved with separation of variables.

More to the point, "A term" is equal to the "B term" for all values of x,t, so we can separate them.

Write this as
[tex]\frac{B'(t)}{B(t)}=\frac{A'(x)}{A(x)}[/tex]
Fix x and change t. The left side of the equation does not change because x does not change. But the equation is valid for all x and t- therefore the right side must not have changed even though t changes:
we must have
[tex]\frac{B'(t)}{B(t)}= k[/tex]
for some constant k. Now let x change while t is fixed. We get
[tex]\frac{A'(x)}{A(x)}= k[/tex].
Of course, since they are equal, they must be equal to the same constant.

You have the equations
[tex]\frac{dB}{B}= kdt[/tex]
and
[tex]\frac{dA}{A}= kdt[/tex] so
as, you had before,
[tex]B(t)= e^{kt}+ c[/tex]
which you can rewrite as
[tex]B(t)= Ce^{kt}[/tex]
and
[tex]A(x)= De^{kx}[/tex]
(be careful to use different symbols for the "undetermined constant" in each- they are not necessarily the same)

Finally, since you started by assuming that u(x,y)= A(x)B(t),
a solution to the differential equation is u(x,y)= Cekxekt= Cek(x+t). (The C here is the product of the constants C and D.) Of course, nothing has been said about what k might be. That would be determined by the additional requirements.

Could you be more awesome?
no... no you can't. Thank you!

It's always fun when something makes sense.

1. What is "Seperation of variables"?

"Separation of variables" is a mathematical technique used to solve partial differential equations. It involves isolating each variable in the equation and solving for them separately to find a general solution.

2. When is "Seperation of variables" used?

"Separation of variables" is commonly used when solving problems involving heat transfer, fluid mechanics, and other physical systems where multiple variables are involved.

3. What are the steps for using "Seperation of variables"?

The steps for using "Separation of variables" are as follows:

1. Identify the variables involved in the equation.
  2. Separate the variables by moving all terms containing one variable to one side of the equation.
  3. Set each side of the equation equal to a constant.
  4. Solve each resulting ordinary differential equation for each variable.
  5. Combine the solutions to get a general solution for the original partial differential equation.

4. What are the limitations of "Seperation of variables"?

"Separation of variables" can only be used to solve linear partial differential equations with constant coefficients. It also may not yield a solution for all initial or boundary conditions.

5. How does "Seperation of variables" differ from other methods of solving partial differential equations?

"Separation of variables" is a specific method for solving partial differential equations, while other methods such as the method of characteristics or numerical methods involve different techniques and approaches. "Separation of variables" is useful for solving specific types of equations and may not work for all problems.