Momentum in different directions

• Thread starter diciccod
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a boy, a dog, and a raft in a lake. The problem requires the use of the equation Mi*Vi = Mf1*Vf1 + Mf2*Vf2 and the concept of Conservation of Momentum. The participants in the conversation provide guidance on how to approach the problem and the final solution involves finding the velocity in the X and Y directions.
diciccod
Hi, this is my first time posting here, looks like a good community and people get a lot of help here. Well here goes, i have this physics problem on momentum that i have never seen before and i can't get past the first step, i kind of know what i have to do.

Problem 1:
A boy and a dog are standing on a 110kg raft in the middle of a lake. Just as the 55kg boy dives off the raft with a horizontal velocity of 4.0m/s due EAST, the 22kg dog leaps off the raft horizontally with a velocty of 5.0m/s due north. What is the resulting velocity of the raft?

for several other problems i have been using the equation
Mi*Vi = Mf1*Vf1 + Mf2*Vf2 I think i have to manipulate that somehow though because I am not just working on postive, negative anymore. If someone could just get me started i would greatly appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
In the equation you are using, let term(1) be the boy, (2) be the dog and add a third term that represents the raft.

You know both mass and velocity of both boy and dog.
You know mass of raft and velocity of raft is the thing to find.

Do you know about Conservation of Momentum? What should they all add up to?

See how you get on.

P.

P.S. This assumes you know how to add vectors and your equation is a vector equation.

Originally posted by diciccod

for several other problems i have been using the equation
Mi*Vi = Mf1*Vf1 + Mf2*Vf2 I think i have to manipulate that somehow though because I am not just working on postive, negative anymore. If someone could just get me started i would greatly appreciate it.
Treat the East-West components (call it the x-direction) and North-South components (call it the y-direction) separately. Write down the conservation of momentum for each direction. This will give you the components of the velocity of the raft; add them up to get magnitude and direction.

i think i got it, not sure.
heres my work

p(all)x = p(raft+boy)
P(all)y = p(raft+dog)

X-Direction
P(all)x = (110kg)(Vfx1) + (55kg*4m/s)
0 = (110)(Vfx1) + (220kg*m/s)
(-220kg*m/s)/(110kg) = Vfx1 = -2m/s

Y-Direction
P(all)y = (110kg)(Vfy1) + (22kg*5m/s)
0 = (110kg)(Vfy1) + (110kg*m/s)
(-110kg*m/s)/(110kg) = Vfy1 = -1m/s

I think that's all my teacher wants, is Velocity Final in the X and in the Y. Well someone check my logic on this one please :)

Originally posted by diciccod
I think that's all my teacher wants, is Velocity Final in the X and in the Y. Well someone check my logic on this one please :)
Looks good to me. :smile:

1. What is momentum in different directions?

Momentum in different directions refers to the quantity of motion of an object in a specific direction. It takes into account both the mass and velocity of the object in that direction.

2. How is momentum calculated in different directions?

Momentum in different directions is calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by its velocity in that direction. The formula is: momentum (p) = mass (m) x velocity (v).

3. What is the law of conservation of momentum in different directions?

The law of conservation of momentum in different directions states that the total momentum of a system of objects remains constant in the absence of external forces. This means that the total momentum in one direction must be equal to the total momentum in the opposite direction.

4. How does momentum change when an object moves in different directions?

Momentum will change in different directions if there is a change in the mass or velocity of the object. If the mass or velocity increases, the momentum will also increase. If the mass or velocity decreases, the momentum will decrease.

5. What are some real-life examples of momentum in different directions?

Some real-life examples of momentum in different directions include a car moving in a straight line, a rocket launching into space, a ball being thrown in different directions, and a skater spinning and changing directions on the ice.