Simple Computer modelling - Software suggestions

In summary, the speaker is looking for open source or free visualisation software to use for their engineering simulations and dynamics project. They are considering using existing software instead of developing their own rendering engine. Suggestions are given to search on sourceforge.net for relevant keywords and to use libraries rather than writing their own engine from scratch.
3trQN
Hello all, i have a small dilema. I am interested in computer simulation for engineering and design purposes.

I am currently evaluating as many of the available ( and free or accessible to joe public ) applications/software systems for engineering simulations and dynamics, with the aim of possibly writing my own in the future.

The problem i am currently facing is one of what i should focus on most, i would like to start with simple Newtonian mechanics and dynamics initially and expand later.

I am fond of visual methods and would like to be able to visually display multi-body dynamics and systems but would rather use existing visualisation software than develop my own rendering engine etc. Though i am considering it anyway.

Does anyone have any suggestions on available open source or free/available visualisation software that i can interface my own code with? And/Or any software packages that do a similar thing that i can evaluate?.

Cheers!

Engineering news on Phys.org
hi,
i would suggest you to go to sourceforge.net and search for keywords like "EDA", "physics java", "physics c++", etc. often times, the site may help you to focus on your search than google when it comes to open source apps.

what programming language do you use, btw?
imho, there are lots of libraries you could use than writing you own engine from scratch.

C++ mainly, but I am flexible.

1. What is simple computer modelling?

Simple computer modelling refers to the process of creating a simplified version of a real-world system or process using a computer program. It involves breaking down a complex system into smaller, more manageable components and using mathematical equations to simulate its behavior.

2. What are the benefits of simple computer modelling?

Simple computer modelling allows scientists to study and analyze complex systems in a controlled and efficient manner. It can also help in predicting the behavior of a system under different conditions and identifying potential problems or areas for improvement.

3. What software is commonly used for simple computer modelling?

Some popular software for simple computer modelling include MATLAB, Excel, and Python. These tools provide a user-friendly interface and a wide range of functionalities for creating and analyzing simple computer models.

4. How accurate are the results of simple computer modelling?

The accuracy of the results depends on the complexity of the model and the quality of the data used to create it. Simple computer models may not always capture all the nuances of a real-world system, but they can provide valuable insights and predictions.

5. Can simple computer modelling be used in different fields of science?

Yes, simple computer modelling can be applied in various fields of science, including physics, biology, chemistry, and engineering. It is a versatile tool that can be used to study and understand different systems and processes.