How Long to Observe a Galaxy's Redshift Change in a Flat Matter-Only Universe?

In summary, the time it would take to observe a galaxy with z=1 in a flat, matter-only universe with H0=70 km/s Mpc for its redshift to change by one part in 10^6 is approximately 8.6 months. This may seem like a large value, but it makes sense considering the small change in redshift we are looking for.
matpo39
I just finished a problem from ryden's intro to cosmology, but I am not sure the answer makes sense here is the problem and my work:

suppose you are in a flat, matter-only universe that has a Hubble constant H0=70 km/s Mpc. you abserve a galaxy with z=1. how long will you have to keep observing the galaxy to see its redshift change by one part in 10^6?

The equation to use is :

dz/dt0 = H0(1+z) - H0(1+z)^[3(1+w)/2]

we know:
H0=70km/s Mpc
z=1
w=0
dz=1/10^6
plugging into the equation we get dt=-7.28E-13 s*Mpc/km
multiplying (-7.28E-13 s*Mpc/km) * ( 3.1E19 km/Mpc) = -22.6E6 s.

this seems a bit large and is negative.
does this seem right?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your problem and your work with us. I can understand your confusion about the answer and I would be happy to help clarify things for you.

First of all, your calculation is correct. The negative sign just indicates that the time is decreasing, which makes sense since we are looking for the time it takes for the redshift to change by 1 part in 10^6. This means that as time passes, the redshift is decreasing.

However, the value does seem large because we are dealing with a very small change in redshift. To put it into perspective, let's convert the time into years. -22.6E6 s is approximately -0.72 years. So, you would have to observe the galaxy for about 8.6 months to see a change in redshift by 1 part in 10^6.

I hope this helps clarify things for you. Keep up the good work in your studies of cosmology!

1. What is a "Flat matter only universe"?

A "Flat matter only universe" is a theoretical concept in cosmology that suggests the universe is made up entirely of matter, with no other forms of energy or matter, such as dark energy or dark matter, present.

2. How is a "Flat matter only universe" different from our current understanding of the universe?

Our current understanding of the universe includes the presence of dark energy and dark matter, which make up a significant portion of the universe's total energy and matter. In a "Flat matter only universe", these components are not present.

3. What evidence supports the existence of a "Flat matter only universe"?

The main evidence for a "Flat matter only universe" comes from observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is believed to be the leftover energy from the Big Bang. These observations suggest that the universe is flat, meaning it has a critical density of matter that would result in a "Flat matter only universe".

4. Are there any potential problems with the concept of a "Flat matter only universe"?

One potential problem is that a "Flat matter only universe" may not be able to explain certain observations, such as the accelerated expansion of the universe. This could suggest the presence of dark energy, which would not exist in a "Flat matter only universe".

5. How does the concept of a "Flat matter only universe" impact our understanding of the universe's future?

If the universe truly is a "Flat matter only universe", it would mean that the universe will continue to expand forever, as there would be no dark energy to cause a potential collapse. However, further research and observations are needed to fully understand the fate of the universe.