Physics Experiments: Constructing Investigation Design Report

In summary, the conversation discusses potential ideas for a simple experiment that could be used to guide the construction of an investigation design report. Suggestions include building a catapult or conducting an experiment with two pots of different sizes to observe how quickly they heat up. It is recommended to choose a subject of interest and conduct an experiment within that area.
jstark11
can anyone help me find a simple experiment that i would be able to use to guide me to construct an investigation design report?

Physics news on Phys.org
You could build a catapult out of arrows and bungee cords. Set the stopping point at some angle. Then calculate expected velocity, kinetetic energy, etc... Maybe the angular velocity, momentum etc... of the swining arm...possibly coefficient of friction, stuff like that.

I don't know if this is too simple or advanced...

Fun nevertheless.

cheers for the suggestion, i think it may be alittle complex for what I am trying to do. have you got any others??

Welcome to PF, Jstark11. It would probably be to your advantage to choose a subject that you enjoy and pick an experiment that is within that area. What are your interests?

How about you take two pots, one wider than the other, and fill them with the same amount of water (making sure the water's all at the same temp.) Put a pot on a burner and heat it up until it boils; every minute or so record the temperature with an oven thermometer or something. Do the same with the other pot some time later in the day (after the burner's cooled down). See if the dimensions of the pots have anything to do with how quickly the water heats up.

1. What is a physics experiment?

A physics experiment is a systematic and controlled investigation that is conducted to test a hypothesis or answer a specific research question related to the laws and principles of physics. It involves designing and carrying out a series of procedures to collect data and analyze results.

2. What is a design report in relation to physics experiments?

A design report in relation to physics experiments is a document that outlines the details of a study, including the research question, hypothesis, methodology, data analysis, and results. It also includes a description of the materials and equipment used, as well as any limitations or potential sources of error in the experiment.

3. How do you construct a design report for a physics experiment?

To construct a design report for a physics experiment, you should follow a structured format that includes an introduction, background information, research question and hypothesis, methodology, data analysis, results, and conclusion. You should also include any relevant diagrams, charts, and tables to support your findings.

4. What are the key components of a design report for a physics experiment?

The key components of a design report for a physics experiment include a clear research question, a well-defined hypothesis, a detailed description of the methodology and materials used, accurate data collection and analysis, and a conclusion that summarizes the findings and their significance.

5. Why is it important to document and report on the design of a physics experiment?

Documenting and reporting on the design of a physics experiment is important because it allows for transparency and reproducibility of the study. It also enables other scientists to evaluate the validity of the results and potentially build on the findings in their own research. Additionally, a well-written design report can serve as a reference for future experiments and contribute to the advancement of scientific knowledge.