Alternative Methods for Accurately Calculating Elastic Modulus?

In summary, the steel samples had inconsistent displacement measurements, which caused the elastic modulus to be 2-3 times lower than expected. Another method of calculating the elastic modulus, which is based on using force and displacement data at the yield point, was suggested.
Chris Brown
I'm attempting to calculate the elastic modulus of some steel samples throught tensile testing. Unfortunately I've come across the common problem of finding a value that is 2 to 3 times lower than the expected value (due to innacurate displacement measurements). Can anyone suggest another method of accurately calculating this value? I'm currently searching for appropriate spring theory formulae whereby the elastic modulus can be calculated from bending the sample around a cylinder of known radius.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you provide details of your measurement? Are you following the appropriate ASTM Test specs?

Flexural modulus can differ from the elastic modulus in tension, by as much as 20% (from what I've noticed among a small number of cases).

http://www.astm.org/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/STORE/filtrexx40.cgi?U+mystore+kcok8713+-L+STEEL:YOUNGS:MODULUS:TEST+/usr6/htdocs/astm.org/DATABASE.CART/REDLINE_PAGES/E855.htm

The simplistic calculation described below should get you pretty close:
http://www.engineersedge.com/strength_of_materials.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Calculating Youngs Modulus

Thanks for the reply. I'm not familiar with the ASTM test specs. Here's some of the data for one of the tests

Mild Steel sample:
Displacement (mm) / Load (kN)
0 / 0
0.5/ 1.125
1/ 1.88
1.5/ 1.91
2/ 2
2.5/ 2.08
3/ 2.125
3.5/ 2.21
4/ 2.23
4.5/ 2.25
5/ 2.26
5.5/ 2.27
6/ 2.28
6.5/ 2.28
7/ 2.28
7.5/ 2.27
8/ 2.265
8.5/ 2.255
9/ 2.25
9.5/ 2.2
10/ 2.18
10.5/ 1.66

...yeah, hate when system compliances cause trouble and/or when material behaves in a nonlinear manner "when it should not" :tongue2: [if these happen to be your problems] . Usually the estimation is most inaccurate near the origin and at near yield, one very simple method have seen used to decrease the sensitivity is that first you compute E on the basis of force and displacement at origin & near yield strength, then you do the rest of the analysis as a function of the points of evaluation so that in the end you end up with a contracted range of force & displacement (nearly a single point) at about half yield strength (so 1st calculation of E is done at [0, yield] - stress, next at [0+small number, yield-small number], ...). And with any luck you'll have a somewhat convergent value for E. When using tensile data to determine E have seen people use such & similar methods to rid themselves of the inaccuracies, or at least improve their results (surprisingly it helps a bit).

That looks like a believable yield curve - but if you want to find the elastic modulus, you have only got one point (disp = 0.5 load = 1.25) that might be in the elastic range, or might not. So it's not surprising your answer isn't as you expect.

Estimate the strain and load at the yield point, then measure a reasonable number of points (e.g. 10 or 20) with loads and strains below that value.

The first thing I always check now is the extensometer (that has bitten me in the past). If you have any take-up that will throw off the initial part of your plot. Like Perennial said, system compliances...

Also, I think Aleph has a good point about your methodology for the test. If you are simply calculating the elastic modulus, why bother taking the part to yield? Estimate what the yield point would be and then work below that in the linear range.

1. What is Elastic Modulus and why is it important?

Elastic Modulus, also known as Young's Modulus, is a measure of a material's stiffness and ability to withstand deformation when subjected to stress. It is important because it helps engineers and scientists understand how materials will behave under different conditions and how they can be used in various applications.

2. How is Elastic Modulus calculated?

Elastic Modulus is calculated by dividing the stress applied to a material by the strain it experiences. The stress is measured in units of force per unit area and the strain is a unitless measure of how much the material deforms under the stress. The resulting value is expressed in units of pressure, such as Pascals (Pa) or pounds per square inch (psi).

3. What factors affect the Elastic Modulus of a material?

The Elastic Modulus of a material is affected by its chemical composition, microstructure, and temperature. Different materials have different inherent stiffness and can exhibit different levels of deformation under stress. Temperature can also play a role, as some materials may become more or less stiff at higher or lower temperatures.

4. How is the Elastic Modulus measured experimentally?

The Elastic Modulus can be measured using various experimental techniques, such as tension, compression, or bending tests. These tests involve applying a known amount of stress to a material and measuring the corresponding strain. The data collected from these tests can then be used to calculate the Elastic Modulus.

5. What are some common applications of Elastic Modulus?

Elastic Modulus is used in various industries, such as construction, aerospace, and automotive, to determine the suitability and performance of materials for specific applications. It is also used in the design and testing of structures, such as bridges and buildings, to ensure they can withstand the forces they will experience during use.