Another limit with two variables

In summary, the limit of (x*(|y|^k))/(x^2+y^4) as x,y approach 0,0 exists when k>2. To show this using the epsilon-delta method, one approach could be to use the fact that for any positive epsilon, there exists a delta such that the absolute value of (x*(|y|^k))/(x^2+y^4) is less than epsilon when the distance between x and y is less than delta. Further analysis and calculations would be needed to provide a complete proof using this method.
oahsen
consider the limit
when lim x,y goes to 0,0 (x*(|y|^k))/(x^2+y^4)
a-) find all values of k where the limit does not exist
b-)find all value of k where the liğmit exist..

I tried to write epsilon-delta method but I could not go further...
Which method should I use in order to show the limit is exist/does not exist?

Physics news on Phys.org
oahsen said:
consider the limit
when lim x,y goes to 0,0 (x*(|y|^k))/(x^2+y^4)
a-) find all values of k where the limit does not exist
b-)find all value of k where the limit exist..

I tried to write epsilon-delta method but I could not go further...
Which method should I use in order to show the limit is exist/does not exist?

After very intense struggling, I found that if k>2 the limit exist. (I used the sandwich theorem and showed that the function is less than |y|^(k-2) and greater than 0; hence if k-2>0 (by sandwich theorem) then the value goes to 0). However, in the question it also asks to show the existence of the limit by the epsilon-delta method. Do you have any advice to show it with epsilon-delta method? Please help me, I am trying to solve this problem almost for 2 days...

What is another limit with two variables?

Another limit with two variables is a mathematical concept that involves taking the limit of a function as the two variables approach a specific value. This is different from a single variable limit, which only involves one variable approaching a value.

How do you evaluate a limit with two variables?

Evaluating a limit with two variables involves taking the limit along a specific path or direction. This can be done by plugging in values for the variables along that path and seeing what value the function approaches. Alternatively, you can use algebraic techniques such as factoring or simplifying to evaluate the limit.

What is the importance of limits with two variables?

Limits with two variables are important in understanding the behavior of functions in multiple dimensions. They allow us to analyze how a function changes as two variables change simultaneously and can be used in applications such as optimization and modeling real-world situations.

Can limits with two variables have different values along different paths?

Yes, limits with two variables can have different values along different paths. This is because the limit is dependent on the path or direction along which the variables are approaching the specific value. Different paths may result in different values, and this is known as a multivariate limit.

Are there any special rules for evaluating limits with two variables?

There are no specific rules for evaluating limits with two variables, but many of the same techniques used for single variable limits can also be applied. It is important to carefully consider the path or direction along which the variables are approaching the value and to use algebraic techniques to simplify the expression before evaluating.