Electron achievable resolution?

In summary, an electron is confined in a spherical region with a diameter of 1.5nm and its speed is being measured. The question asks which of the given resolutions is not achievable for the measurement. Using the uncertainty principle, the width of the region can be used to find the possible resolution by multiplying it with the mass of the electron and the uncertainty in its velocity. The resolution that is not achievable is option A, +/- 9.7*10^3 ms^-1.
ku1005
Electron...achievable resolution?

Homework Statement

An electron is confined inside a sphericial region of diametre 1.5nm.The speed of the electron is measured. Which of the following is not an achieveable resolution for the measurement?

A +/- 9.7*10^3 ms^-1

B +/- 3.86*10^4ms^-1

C +/- 7.72*10^4ms^-1

D +/- 1.21*10^5ms^-1

E +/- 1.54*10^5ms^-1

ANSWER = A

Homework Equations

Im not sure really, since I don't know how to attempt this question, I think either the debroglie wavelength or uncertainity principle, but to be honest,I don't really know what to use.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't have a clue, would someone be able to at least start me in the right direction, thankyou.

Physics news on Phys.org
use the uncertainty principle delta(x)*delta(p)<h bar. You have delta(x) which is the width, so find delta(p) and delta(p)= mass * delta(velocity) => possible resolution.

1. What is electron achievable resolution?

Electron achievable resolution is a measure of the smallest distance that can be resolved by an electron microscope. It refers to the ability of the microscope to distinguish between two objects that are very close together.

2. How is electron achievable resolution different from optical resolution?

Electron achievable resolution is significantly higher than optical resolution, as electrons have much shorter wavelengths than visible light. This allows electron microscopes to resolve much smaller details in a sample.

3. What factors affect electron achievable resolution?

The achievable resolution of an electron microscope is affected by several factors, including the quality of the electron source, the stability of the electron beam, and the quality of the sample preparation.

4. How is electron achievable resolution measured?

Electron achievable resolution is typically measured in nanometers (nm) or angstroms (Å). It is determined by imaging a sample with known features and measuring the smallest distance that can be resolved between them.

5. Can electron achievable resolution be improved?

Yes, electron achievable resolution can be improved through advancements in technology and techniques. This includes using higher energy electrons, optimizing sample preparation methods, and utilizing advanced detectors and imaging software.