Advice for Studying Aerospace Engineering.

In summary: You should study Mechanical Engineering first. After that, you can study Physics or Mathematics if you want.
LazyLlama
I have pretty much chosen that when I go to University in the very near future, I want to study Aerospace Engineering. I have a few questions for the "Been there, done that" guys. First, I am in Canada just for the record, so I will most likely be attending University here, rather than abroad.

Anyway, first question I have. As an Undergraduate, what is the most beneficial course to major in as a base for Aero-Eng. Should I further study Physics and/or Mathematics, or should I get some background in Mechanical Engineering first or, would a program like this one http://www.mae.carleton.ca/maehtmls/usAerospace.html , which is jumping right into an Aerospace Engineering degree, be the best way to go?

My second question is regarding specific universities, which I know is a tough subject. For what I want to do, what choices of Universities in Canada do I have for Undergraduate studies? So far I have looked at Waterloo, for Physics/Math if I go in that direction, or University of Toronto or Carleton University for Aerospace/Mechanical Engineering. Would those be wise choices or should I look elsewhere? For Graduate studies, I'm guessing I'll have to cross that bridge when I come to it :rolleyes:

I'm sorry for all the questions, but It seems the more I look into my future education, and where I'm going etc. The more questions that I come up with!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand your question. Aerospace majors take Aerospace courses.

LazyLlama said:
I have pretty much chosen that when I go to University in the very near future, I want to study Aerospace Engineering. I have a few questions for the "Been there, done that" guys. First, I am in Canada just for the record, so I will most likely be attending University here, rather than abroad.

Anyway, first question I have. As an Undergraduate, what is the most beneficial course to major in as a base for Aero-Eng. Should I further study Physics and/or Mathematics, or should I get some background in Mechanical Engineering first or, would a program like this one http://www.mae.carleton.ca/maehtmls/usAerospace.html , which is jumping right into an Aerospace Engineering degree, be the best way to go?

My second question is regarding specific universities, which I know is a tough subject. For what I want to do, what choices of Universities in Canada do I have for Undergraduate studies? So far I have looked at Waterloo, for Physics/Math if I go in that direction, or University of Toronto or Carleton University for Aerospace/Mechanical Engineering. Would those be wise choices or should I look elsewhere? For Graduate studies, I'm guessing I'll have to cross that bridge when I come to it :rolleyes:

I'm sorry for all the questions, but It seems the more I look into my future education, and where I'm going etc. The more questions that I come up with!

if you want a job in aerospace eng. after you get your degree don't miss Ryerson University in downtown Toronto,
http://www.ryerson.ca/~aeronet/

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually missed out an important detail of why I was asking. I was looking around and it seems very few Universities actually offer Undergraduate programs in Aerospace Engineering (I'm sure I'm missing some, that's why I'm here), the closest most do is a Mech-Eng program, or Physics etc. which was why I was wondering if I should go for a different major for Undergraduate, then take Aerospace Engineering in Grad school. Sorry for the confusion :)

1. What skills are necessary for studying aerospace engineering?

The most important skills for studying aerospace engineering are strong mathematical and analytical skills, critical thinking abilities, and attention to detail. Additionally, strong communication, teamwork, and problem-solving skills are essential for success in this field.

2. Is it necessary to have a background in physics or engineering to study aerospace engineering?

While having a background in physics or engineering can be helpful, it is not necessary to study aerospace engineering. Many universities offer introductory courses to help students without a background in these subjects catch up.

3. What courses will I take as an aerospace engineering major?

As an aerospace engineering major, you will take a variety of courses in mathematics, physics, aerodynamics, propulsion, structures, and materials. You will also have the opportunity to take courses in computer-aided design, flight mechanics, and systems engineering.

4. What types of jobs can I get with a degree in aerospace engineering?

Graduates with a degree in aerospace engineering can work in a variety of industries, including aerospace, defense, aviation, and space exploration. Some common job titles include aerospace engineer, flight test engineer, aircraft designer, and systems engineer.

5. How can I gain practical experience while studying aerospace engineering?

There are several ways to gain practical experience while studying aerospace engineering. Many universities offer internship or co-op programs that allow students to work in a professional setting while still in school. You can also join student organizations, participate in research projects, or attend workshops and conferences to gain hands-on experience.