Guessing Number-Generating Algorithm

• Thread starter caldiar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algorithm
In summary, a student shares their experience with their math teacher giving out passwords for online grade checking, which led to students guessing each other's passwords for extra credit. The teacher then gave a challenge to figure out the algorithm used to generate the passwords. The student gathered a list of passwords from willing classmates to assist in solving the algorithm. It was later discovered that multiple algorithms were used for different sets of passwords, and the teacher requested that the student not post the passwords online. The student also mentions their close bond with classmates and their teacher's promise to change the passwords if any algorithms were cracked. The conversation also delves into the importance of privacy and ethical concerns surrounding the challenge.
caldiar
Hey everyone.

Before I get started on the actual problem, here's a quick background story:

Last year my math teacher gave out passwords to check grades online. They were constructed in the following manner - 1st initial, 2nd initial, random 1 digit number.

The students in the class made a game out of guessing each others passwords and turning them into the teacher for extra credit.

My teacher loves math. If I had to guess her favorite branch of math I'd say number theory. She saw how popular the password-guessing was last year so she decided to give us a challenge this year and told us she used an algorithm to make these passwords and she then encouraged us to try to figure out what she did to make the passwords.

So here's where the story ends and the problem begins.

I have two classes with her. She gave me a different password for both classes each generated in the same method.

The relevant pieces of the passwords are: 11 and 911
I gathered a list of passwords from students willing to help figure out the algorithm.

(EDIT)It was discovered today that multiple algorithms were used for different sets of passwords (an algorithm for every 2-3 passwords actually). However, she told me it was kind of scary that I'm already at a point she thought I wouldn't be at for a few months... :)

She also requested that I don't post the passwords online.
(/EDIT)

Thanks,
Caldiar

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've read your post twice, and I still do not see anything resembling a question here. What exactly are you hoping that we will do with nothing but the numbers 11 and 911?

- Warren

was 120741 another password?

Well, I came to the site on my own after spending a few hours researching various algorithms.

My teacher said that if I DID find ANY of the 15 algorithms I needed to tell her and she would change the passwords using the cracked algorithm to protect confidentiality.

Normally this still would be unacceptable but you must understand that the school I am at is about 90 students large and everybody knows everybody. We have a very close bond as students and think of each other as family. Plus, for me to crack an algorithm the student has to give me his or her password in the first place for me to use in finding patterns so there would be no involuntary release of information.

caldiar said:
Well, I came to the site on my own after spending a few hours researching various algorithms.

My teacher said that if I DID find ANY of the 15 algorithms I needed to tell her and she would change the passwords using the cracked algorithm to protect confidentiality.

Normally this still would be unacceptable but you must understand that the school I am at is about 90 students large and everybody knows everybody. We have a very close bond as students and think of each other as family. Plus, for me to crack an algorithm the student has to give me his or her password in the first place for me to use in finding patterns so there would be no involuntary release of information.
Did the people who gave you their pass word also give you permission to post it on the internet? Wouldn't it seem that if there was an algorithm for one individuals password that the same algorithm might have been used to generate anothers password who did not give you their password? I still think that your teacher did something very foolish and that you should never try to access someone elses persoal information or make it possible for others to do so no matter how close your group is.

Last edited:
Only 2-3 passwords are generated with the same algorithm.

On another note, I'd very much like to have this thread deleted since it provides nothing useful to this forum and is wasting space. =)

Last edited:
caldiar said:
Only 2-3 passwords are generated with the same algorithm.

On another note, I'd very much like to have this thread deleted since it provides nothing useful to this forum and is wasting space. =)
That is no excuse for comprimising a persons fundamental right to privacy. If one persons right to privacy is comprimised that is one too many. While the chance may have been low that any of your fellow students read this thread there was that chance. Plus you seem to be an honorable person since you did delete the passwords. How do you know that only 2-3 passwords are generated by the algorithm(s)? Perhaps there is in fact no algorithm except a random number generator and your teacher was merely teasing the class. I wouldn't take the right to privacy so lightly as you say your teacher has nor would I engage in a challenge of discovering an algorithm that should be known only to the teacher and otherwise kept confidential. I too am done with this thread and think it should be moved to another forum but not deleted.

Last edited:

1. What is a guessing number-generating algorithm?

A guessing number-generating algorithm is a set of instructions or rules that a computer program follows in order to generate a random number for a user to guess. It is commonly used in games and simulations.

2. How does a guessing number-generating algorithm work?

A guessing number-generating algorithm typically uses a mathematical formula or a set of predetermined numbers to generate a random number. The algorithm takes into account various factors such as time, user input, and computer memory to ensure that the generated number is truly random.

3. Can a guessing number-generating algorithm be biased?

Yes, a guessing number-generating algorithm can be biased if it is not properly designed or if it is influenced by external factors. For example, if the algorithm only generates even numbers, it is considered biased and may affect the fairness of the game or simulation.

4. How accurate is a guessing number-generating algorithm?

The accuracy of a guessing number-generating algorithm depends on its design and implementation. A well-designed algorithm should be able to generate truly random numbers with a high degree of accuracy. However, external factors such as computer hardware limitations or user input can affect the accuracy of the algorithm.

5. Is there a way to test the randomness of a guessing number-generating algorithm?

Yes, there are statistical tests that can be performed to determine the randomness of a guessing number-generating algorithm. These tests analyze the distribution of the generated numbers and compare it to a theoretical distribution of truly random numbers. If the results of the test are within an acceptable range, it can be concluded that the algorithm is generating random numbers effectively.