How do singularities of a function on a complex plane affect real line behavior?

In summary, the function \frac{1}{\epsilon^2 + z^2} has two poles at z = i \epsilon and z = - i \epsilon, which are complex singularities. These poles determine the radius of convergence for the real Taylor series of the function, which is e when centered at x = 0. The effect of these singularities on the function's behavior when plotted on the real line is determined by the radius of convergence.
Simfish
Gold Member
consider the function

[tex]\frac{1}{\epsilon^2 + z^2}[/tex]

So we know that there are two poles, one at [tex]z = i \epsilon[/tex], one at [tex]z = - i \epsilon[/tex]. So when this function never hits 0 on the real line, how do the singularities affect its behavior on the line?

Okay, so poles are a subclass of singularities. I think that [tex]z = i \epsilon[/tex] and [tex]z = - i \epsilon[/tex] are poles - I may be wrong here. The question is - how do complex singularities (complex poles in this case) affect a function's behavior when the function is plotted on the real line?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
they determine the radius of convergence of the real taylor series for the function, in this case it is e, about x=0.

Firstly, it is important to note that the function \frac{1}{\epsilon^2 + z^2} is undefined at the points z = i \epsilon and z = - i \epsilon, since the denominator becomes zero at these points. These points are known as singularities of the function.

On the real line, the function is defined for all real values of z except for z = \pm \epsilon. This means that the function has a discontinuity at these points, as it is not defined at these points. The behavior of the function on the real line is affected by these singularities in the following ways:

1. Discontinuity: As mentioned before, the function has a discontinuity at z = \pm \epsilon, which means that the function is not continuous at these points. This can be seen when plotting the function on the real line, as there will be a gap at these points.

2. Asymptotic behavior: When approaching the singularities from the real line, the function approaches infinity. This is because as z gets closer to \pm \epsilon, the denominator becomes smaller and smaller, causing the overall value of the function to increase towards infinity.

3. Influence on nearby points: The singularities can also affect the behavior of the function at nearby points on the real line. This is because the function is undefined at the singularities, and any point close to the singularities will also have undefined values. This can cause unexpected behavior of the function in this region.

In conclusion, the singularities of a function on a complex plane can have a significant impact on the behavior of the function when plotted on the real line. They can cause discontinuities, affect the asymptotic behavior, and influence the behavior of nearby points. It is important to consider these singularities when analyzing the behavior of a function on the real line.

1. What is a singularity of a function on a complex plane?

A singularity of a function on a complex plane is a point at which the function is not defined or becomes infinite. It can be a pole, essential singularity, or removable singularity.

2. How do singularities affect the behavior of a function on a complex plane?

The type of singularity can affect the behavior of a function on a complex plane. For example, a pole can cause a function to approach infinity in a certain direction, while an essential singularity can cause the function to have an infinite number of oscillations around that point.

3. Can singularities of a function on a complex plane affect its behavior on the real line?

Yes, singularities on the complex plane can have an impact on the behavior of a function on the real line. This is because complex numbers and real numbers are interconnected, and the behavior of a function on the complex plane can influence its behavior on the real line.

4. How do singularities on the complex plane affect the continuity of a function?

A singularity can cause a function to be discontinuous at that point. For example, if there is a pole at a certain point, the function will not be continuous at that point. However, a removable singularity can be "fixed" to make the function continuous again.

5. Can the behavior of a function on the real line be predicted by its singularities on the complex plane?

In some cases, yes. The type and location of singularities on the complex plane can give insight into the behavior of a function on the real line. However, the behavior on the real line can also be affected by other factors, so it is not always a reliable predictor.